1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good 5-string pickups for metal?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by deathofbalance, Jul 19, 2007.

1. deathofbalance

deathofbalance

Jul 11, 2006
    At some point in the next year, I'm going to be building my own bass, a 5-string, neck through Explorer/Destroyer. I'm looking for good pickups to put into this bass that will give it a mean, "**** you" metal tone. Something with heavy, powerful lows, but a strong enough midrange to cut through 1 or 2 heavily distorted guitars. I don't really have a preference between active or passive, so recommend away.

Thanks

Edit: I play pickstyle almost exclusively, if that helps clarify it any

Other Edit: I realize just saying "metal" is vague, but I need something versatile to work for pretty much everything from Judas Priest to Job For A Cowboy.

2. Musicman style pups are good for that, and other stuff. I'd stay away from barts (unless you go really high end) because they are voiced a little bit higher. EMGs of some kind should be good for you too.
    just my 2 cents