Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 5 string players?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CaM90, Jun 2, 2005.

1. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    I am getting my five string in the next few weeks (SR905), and I don't know many 5 stringed bassists to play their music. Any genre is fine. I only know a few 5 stringed bassists but I need more because I don't know what good covers I can play by myself or with my band. Please don't say comments like "You should make your own songs and play them, don't rely on bands to play." Or something along thsoe lines because I do create my own stuff I just need some good 5 stringed bassists. :bassist:

2. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Gary Willis (Tribal Tech, solo), Richard Bona (solo, Frank McComb, Kazumi Watanabe, and MANY others), Matthew Garrison (although he strings his 5 E-C), check out Chaka Khan's Naughty and What'cha Gonna Do For Me. Both feature the master Anthony Jackson at work (not to mention Willie Weeks and Marcus Miller). On those recordings Anthony was playing a 4 string Fender jazz but it was tuned down from EADG, to CFBbEb or something (don't quote me on that) so you could play it on a 5. Speaking of Marcus Miller, he plays a fretless Fodera 5 on a lot of his CD's, you need to check him out. And speaking of tuning down, pickup D'Angelo's VooDoo CD. Pino Palladino lays down some of the nastiest, slinkiest grooves on that album using a tuned down Fender 4 as well. That CD is a lesson in feel from start to finish.

That should get you started, and it's just scratching the surface of what's out there. . . :bassist:

3. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Will Lee plays some killer 5-string on Delbert McClinton's Never Been Rocked Enough album (about half the tracks).

4. gruuv

gruuv

Jan 23, 2004
    Tennessee
    Will Lee is a monster too. He has one of the fattest grooves around. . .

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Listen to Nathan East's stuff with Fourplay. That and contemporary gospel are what got me into the 5 string arena.

Peace,

James