Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lead Bass, Mar 16, 2003.

1. Lead Bass

Lead Bass

Mar 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Does anybody know of a 5 string bass that has an excellent sound and still looks good? Any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Thanks

2. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Fender Jazz 5, Musicman 5/OLP 5 (if on a budget), Warwick Rockbass 5, Ibanez BTB 5.

Am I missing any? ;)

3. Tumbao

Tumbao

Nov 10, 2001
    FL
    ($?) (Music style?) (Aesthetic & Sound preferences?) (Width nut?) (String spacing?)
    (Fingerboard radius?)

4. Lead Bass

Lead Bass

Mar 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I like to play and rock and metal. Stuff like Metallica.

5. Lead Bass

Lead Bass

Mar 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Do Warlocks sound good or are they mostly for looks?

6. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Stay away from BC Rich. They are for nothing but looks. To make them sound good, you'd need new pickups, a built in preamp, and effects processor. If metal is your thing, go with an Ibanez. You can't go wrong with Ibanez for metal. Actually, I've got an Ibanez Ergodyne 5 string I am selling with case, stap and strap locks for $450. I'd sell it to you for $400 if your interested. Great sound, I'm just more into Fender style basses for punk.

~Patrick

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Lead Bass. Welcome to Talkbass. There are a lot of friendly and helpful people here who can help you get the answer to a lot of questions you will have.

Your responsibility will be to provide as much information as you can about what you are looking for and what your restrictions are ($$, products available in your area, weight, any number of other things)

You will also receive a few responses that will say "Do a Search". No matter how harshly that may be stated, it's good advice.

Now, to your question....I see from your profile that you are 16, live in Minnesota, and have a Fender Jazz. Do you like it? If so, think about what it would be like with a B-string. You may have the answer to your own question. There are also many Jazz bass clones and Precision bass clones. You may want to try some of them. Go to any music store you can get to and play every 5 string they have in stock. Take notes on what you like and don't like about each, then come back to Talkbass and engage all the experts here on questions about each bass. There's a ton of guys here who own and have strong opinions for and against Warwick, Spector, Ibanez, Yamaha, etc etc. You'll learn a ton by reading what they have to say about instruments they have or used to have.

Again, WELCOME & HAVE FUN!!

Peace,

James

8. Lead Bass

Lead Bass

Mar 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Thanks everybody. You've been very helpful to me. I'll probably try out some basses and see what I like. Thanks for the offer Patrick I'll think about it, though you'll probably already sell it by the time I decide :) .
    Thanks again,
    Tim

9. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Let me know man. Its in excellent condition with few subtle scratches on the front and back that cannot be seen from more than two feet away and under light. I'm putting some brand new Ernie Ball slinkys on it. I'll include the Original Hardshell case, nylon Fort Bryan strap, ad Dunlop straplocks. The sound is great. Punchy, warm, and if you like Fieldy enough, you can easily get the clicking, but cutting the mids.

PLEASE SOMEONE BUY IT! I NEED A NEW CAB!

~Patrick

10. RawBassist

RawBassist

Sep 1, 2002
    USA
    I use a Peavey Fury V, it rocks with active pups and eq that makes it fun. I use it with a Carvin R600 2x10 which exemplifies it's sound. Nice and warm and can still rock for a good price. It is worth looking into. I had my mind set on an OLP 5er and played this one for fun, and it changed my mind totally. Just a suggestion.:bassist:

11. go for a MTD Kingston. One of the best basses I've ever played. If you can, spring for the Heir, its additional J pup helps the mids.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Under $1000, I would look into an MTD Kingston or a Lakland Skyline 55-01.

Over $1000, I would get a Peavey Cirrus.

13. If money is no object I highly recommend the Warwick Streamer StageII. I also have A Corvette Pro Line 5 that costs about 1/3 as much and has great tone. Good luck in your search.

Keep Rockin,
    Tony

14. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Spectors are excellent for metal- good example, Rex Brown! Spector tone cuts through very well and has a wide variety of tones. I would recommend looking for a used Czech/ Euro series. The 2002 and earlier neckthrough Professional series 5's are also very good isntruments for the money-about $500 used in good shape. I am very happy with my Spector :).

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Another vote for the Lakland Skyline 55-01.
    Looks good, sounds better.

16. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    1) I have heard tons of good things about the Lakland 55-01.

2) I own a professional series Spector, it comes highly recomended.

3) Try out a few Ibanez's, sounds like they would fit your style.

2) MTD Kingston's are nice too.

Any of the basses in this thread are really nice, you need to play as many of them as you can and more to see what fits your style.:)