Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 5String 4 Intermediate Player

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sai-Tonn, May 9, 2001.

1. Sai-Tonn

Sai-Tonn

Apr 28, 2001
    USA
    Can someone reccomend a good bass for around $500 that plays good and has nice mid-range sound?

2. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Check out the Toby's at MusicYo.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i dont know how much they are but squiers has a p bass special that is a 5 string. i know it is was under $500. i owned this bass for a while and really liked it. the reason i got rid of it is because there was a problem with the pick ups. i think this would be a good first bass. i now own a 5 string mim fender deluxe jazz . i love this bass. you could pick one up for under 500 too. its very versitle, upgrades are very easy and its got that jazz bass tone. i highly suggest you check one out.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Squier P bass Special is $229 and is a really good 5 for that price, but you have other options if you've got $500.

If it were me, I would save a little longer and get an Ibanez BTB405 for around $550 or the MTD Kingston 5 for about $525.

5. craigb

craigb G&L churnmeister Supporting Member

I'll second the recommendation for the MTD K5. Although 5 is not my thing the K4 played and sounded nice and the K5 has 35" scale going for it as well.

6. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha RBX765A seems like quite good deal, as does Ibanez BTB-405QM. Yamaha BBG5A is ok too.

7. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    old_skool, what was your problem with the Squier 5 pickups?

8. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    it was some factory screw up. i dont know the real problem. somthing like the magnet wasnt long enough, so the B was really faint. the store took care of it, sent it back, the only reason i got a diffrent bass was that it took awhile. i really dont think you will have this problem with the pickups in genral with this bass. it was just a screw on fenders part but they took care of it. i think you should look at it. others have mentioned great basses you should check out too.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Wow, holderman, you sold your RB5 and kept the Squier?

That bass must sound great with the pickup mod.

Is it true that the newer ones have sealed pickups that you CAN'T mod?

10. Sai-Tonn

Sai-Tonn

Apr 28, 2001
    USA
    Any good 5 strings with soapbar pickups?

11. holderman

holderman

May 25, 2000
    >Is it true that the newer ones have sealed >pickups that you CAN'T mod?

I didn't see it myself, but that's what several people told me.

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Uh, yeah, sort of. Give me a year and I'll come back to ya.