Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good 6 string for $200 - $375

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Nov 11, 2002.

1. like the title says... i am leaning toward an ibanez sr406. whatr else is out there... used works.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

An Ibanez SR506 is a better bass. This is my opinion, based on having owned a 506 for several years and having played numerous 406's in stores. The electronics have better sound, and the neck is more stable. It is also set into the body a little bit further than the 406 neck. And I just happen to know where you can get a used one for $350.:D

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=64820

3. There are many good basses out there for under $500. Don't be fooled by guitar ad prices for any Carlo Robelli bass..they sell 6 string basses for around $300 DON'T SURCOME TO THE PRICE!
    I agree with embellisher on the fact that the sr506 is a damn good bass. Ibanez makes some good stuff and I think they should be looked into more if you want a quality bass a a reasonable price. I have a sr506, sr405 and a 6 string warwick bubinga thumb bass. I truly believe through all the times that I have played them both that the quality of my sr506 is damn close to the quality of my $3700 Warwick. You should lokk into buying one. If you want to hear of a good deal then e-mail me at ANDAVARI666@HOTMAIL.COM, or MURDERER66@COMCAST.NET
    I know many of many boutiques around me that would sell a good priced new Ibanez for a really good price.

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    You aren't going to find many other options out there in this price range. The only other one I can think of are a Dean Edge Q6. Rondo Music used to have six-stringed Brices, but the only ones left are fretlesses.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I have a Dean Edge Q6. These can be had used in the $300-$400 range, and the non-Q models should be less. Mine had a bad preamp, and I'm waiting for a Bartolini NTBT that should be here in the next few days. I like the 35" scale on these, which is unusual on cheap basses. I haven't tried the Ibanezes, except for the BTB 406 which is pretty cool and could maybe be found used in your price range. The BassPlace sells Alvarez sixers on Ebay pretty cheap. I haven't tried one, but they have nice specs (graphite reinforced neck at this price?).

6. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    a " save your money for something you will actually play in 5 years" custom model or the " buy embelisher's cause its pretty much your only good choice" signature.

seriously save until you can afford somethin like a groove tools or a used carvin. sure it's double what you want to spend but the term you get what you pay for DEFINATELY applies here.

embelisher's bass would be one you can do some growin into.

7. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I've been very happy with the Dean Edge 6 string basses that I've auditioned at my local shop Classic Axe. I know there are some satisfied owners of Edge 6 and Q6 basses here on the Talkbass forum. Check Musician's Friend for good prices. I love my Edge 5 fretless.

Is the Cort Curbow 6 in your price range? That's another winner.

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

"good 6 string.......$200 - $375"

Sorry - even used, it ain't gonna happen....unless it has stickers all over it and 1/2" of the back scraped out from a belt buckle.

As some of the wise minds here have already said - save your money and do it right.

9. An Ibanez BTB406QM would be a good choice.

10. cosmetic damage is no concern to me, i can fix that.

11. spoonplug

spoonplug

Jul 13, 2002
    Well now, I have a neck-throuth maple body active Peavey TL-6 on Ebay, item# 921738587. I am not going to plug/describe it extensively here, just make you aware of it. It will sell in this price range, and will give you lots of bang for your buck. Good hunting, Dwight (Bassdawgie)

12. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    save your money, be patient. the chances of getting a 6 str at that price point with a well articulated b string are nill. unless, that is, you like to sound like someone kicking the side of a cardboard box when you play...;)

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    You *might* be able to get a used Carvin LB76 in this price range. I sold one of mine for $400 a few years ago. Of course, I was in a hurry at the time (impending divorce), but you still might be able to find one in your range. I've also owned the Peavey TL6 somebody mentioned. That IMO would be a good deal in the sub-$400 range too.

14. I agree with half of the people in this thread because if ur going to buy a crappy 6 string then ur just going to have to buy a new one in a year or 2. Save up your money and get one that will last you for a while, It will be worth the time you spend saving up for it, trust me.

15. i think that, that bass is just a bit more then 300 dollars, they are more like 600 and up.... or atleast i thought so?????

16. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Don't listen to the naysayers.

Your six string technique is not going to benefit from sitting and saving money. Everybody has different priorities and different "standards" that they want their instruments to adhere to.

I've played the Dean 6 string and if I were interested in six string I'd buy it without hesitating. It's beautiful and sounds and looks fine for me. I'm not a gigging pro nor do I have any pretensions as such, but based on the quality of my 5 string fretless Edge 5 I can tell you that the Dean Edge 6 is a solid piece.

Of course, the Edge 6 is almost $500, but you may find one used for about $300 if you look around. And there's always the classifieds.

It's a shame that that www.rondomusic.com doesn't have any more 6 string fretted Brice basses left. What do you think of fretless..... They have those, and for cheap, too!

17. try a Cort Curbow 6 , for 450$