Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 60's type distortion *not insane metal*

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tiredman9, Dec 15, 2005.

1. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Every distortion I have found or tried just seems to be good for inane metal but I'm just looking for a little distortion to color the tone of the bass, sort of like the bass distortion you'll hear in a lot of 60's music. If you guys know any pedals that can give me this, that'd be great thnks.

2. i think you mightbe looking for the sound from overdriving a tube head, i'm pretty sure they make a few pedals that emulate that, i'msure somone around here will enlighten you more than i can

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Maybe an Ibanez Tube Screamer (not at all like its name) or a Boss Overdrive. Overdrive is probably what you want instead of distortion.

4. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    have you tried the Hartke Vxl? sounds like it will do exactly what you're after

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    BJF Bluberry does what you are asking. They are not cheap though. What is your price range?

Others:

DOD250
    Frantone Lotone (A fuzz, but definitely vintage in nature)

6. mactac

mactac Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Victoria, BC, Canada
    i just bought a fulltone bass drive for exactly that reason. it can be very subtle on the "comp out" setting, and sounds amaziningly like a tube amp just starting to break up.

I couldn't be happier with this purchase. best pedal I've ever bought.

7. Tech 21 Bass Driver DI?

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    MXR Distortion+ did the trick for me. I had to do some modifications to keep enough low end, though. Good luck with the search.

9. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    In order of sounding good to great:

MXR Bass DI Preamp

Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Fulltone BassDrive

10. tiredman9

tiredman9

Aug 15, 2005
    New York
    Well my price range is under 150 but preferably under 100. I didn't like the boss at all. I think I'll see if i can check out the Fulltone too

11. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i use a fulltone bassdrive, but if you want cheap and good, with juuuuust enough breakup on the edges, try a digitech bad monkey.

12. you could try an English Muff'n tube overdrive, which utilizes real tubes. never tried it myself but gets good reviews on this board.

13. I'm looking for a pedal that can simulate a gritty amp: My Mesa(Tool), an older Peavey MarkIV(FNM), and SVT(Rush) come to mind...as well as an older GK, ala GNR...

I've tried these pedals:
    Boss ODB-3
    Ibanez PD7
    Digitech Bass Driver
    Tech 21 SABDDI
    Tech 21 Bass DI(the one that can only use a battery, as it has no powercord provision)

.....of those, I found that the two Tech 21 pedals blow the others away, with the old Bass DI beating out the SABDDI in crunchiness, brightness, and mids....

The sounds I got from the Boss, Digitech, and Ibanez pedals made me want to throw them into a wall

I sold the Bass DI to make room for the SABDDI(bad move), broke that pedal, and am now left with my Boss ODB-3, which makes an excellent doorstop...

I would like to try these though: the DOD Preamp 250, and the Tech 21 Comptortion.....and hear the old sansamp Bass DI again....