Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good 7 strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Brendan, Nov 19, 2000.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    After searching didn't help, I'd like to know what strings would be good for a 7, (specifically for 7, with whatever gauge the f# is), as well as cheap...I'm cheap, waht can I say?

Also, should I have to order them singularly, what gauges are typical (remembering that I want a string thicker than a regular low B)?

Thanks...

[Edited by Brendan on 11-19-2000 at 08:10 PM]

2. The best way to get strings for a multi string bass is to buy a 5 string set when it is on sale. Then order the extra strings from your local music store I order these in groups of six. On my seven string I use a D'Addario XL5 light guage set plus an .027 for the "C" string and a solid .019 for the "F" string. The smaller strings cost only a buck or two each.

3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Labella, Dean Markley, Daddario, and Carl Thompson are the only manufacturers that come to mind that make a .145 or .150, which youll need for the F#. Youd actually want thicker, especially with a bass like that, but you cant really get them, except from Thompson.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    thanks Angus...busy tonight, aren't we? Are you responding to ALL of my posts for a reason? :D

5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nah, i was just reading your profile, and wanted to get back to some threads, so...i clicked on the ones youd posted in! :D

Nah, just kidding...im really stalking you. :eek:

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, great, now I've gotta fend off a stalker. As if my life wasn't busy enough. Want to hold off, and stalk me in about a month? I'll be much better to stalk around then.:D:D

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nah, i could never be a stalker...im too lazy!

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    HA! Sounds about like me...

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Must be the climate!

10. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Check out the Classifieds forum! I've got a wine red
    GT-7 for sale, stoopid cheap. AND, I'm throwin'
    in a Dean Markley .150" f# string.

http://juststrings.com or http://getstringscheap.com
    have 7 string Ken Smith sets for $30 ~ $33. They normally
    have a low B (.125" - .130"). Conklin makes a set for their
    7's called "Snakeskins". You can get these at a good
    discount from http://musiciansfriend.com . Conklin also
    sells a .150" f# Snakeskin separately for $14/per string.

11. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    just fyi (i don't think bill will mind if i tell everybody ;) ) the conklin snakeskins are repackaged dean markley sr2000 strings, with different color windings (bill conklin doesn't make his own strings yet). they are basically the sr2000 will lee signature set strings, with purple windings (i think purple) instead of gold.

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Who'da thunk it?

13. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    oh, hey, that's cool. i didn't mean that as a "correction" anyway, per se, i was just showing off what i know ;).