1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good acoustic bass for playing fast? and easy reach?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AcousticBass, Jun 23, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Hey i know this question is kinda stupid, and just taking up room, but aaaye, this is talkbass, if i cant ask here, where can i ask?????? i was wondering what is a good acoustic bass for easy reach to the 24th fret, and a thin neck for playing fast? :confused:

2. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    By far the best acoustic bass guitar is the Ernie Ball Earthwood, notwithstanding that it only has 16 frets. This instrument proves that having 24 frets is irrelevant. It is so much better than anything else it's ridiculous. Unfortunately they haven't been made for about 23 years and they're rare.

The Taylor has a thin neck (in my opinion a bad thing) and access to some high frets. Other nice acoustic bass guitars are the Guild (I think 21 frets), the Martin and the Tacoma. LaBella has a nice one out that's more along the lines of a classical guitar.

The whole point of playing an acoustic bass guitar is to develop a strong sound which can compete with or dominate other acoustic instruments. To do this you have to maximize the sound you are creating acoustically, which means having a large, efficient body. Then you can project some sound. The acoustic bass guitars on the market are all too small. The tone is thin and the sound doesn't project. Besides that most people playing them have not learned the different techniques required for acoustic playing. They plug into an amp and basically end up playing an electric bass anyway, so why bother?

If anyone out there is making a better acoustic bass guitar than the Earthwood I would be interested in hearing about it.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    I was going to mention Taylor's AB-series as well, not just because IMO it projects well (and that's even before Klein's bracing mod which improves it a great deal) but tonally there's a "sweetness" to its voice that I've heard in no other acoustic bass.

Granted - there's the cost, which is quite high on the used market... but given an unlimited choice and checkbook, that's where I'd go.

4. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Just for the record, DBs have fingerboards over two octaves long. Relevant to classical solo music, playing cello parts at pitch, 20th century orchestral music, jazz...

5. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    As Inspector Clousseau would say, "I knew that!"

My point was that the best sounding acoustic bass guitar has the least frets, so if tone is more important to you than range........but if it's not, whatever.

We weren't talking about double bass. Can't bow an acoustic bass guitar, either.

6. pklima

pklima

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Right... I basically agree with everything you say (especially the part about people thinking they're playing "acoustic" and needing an amp to be heard in a medium-sized room) except I wanted to point out that the upper range is not musically useless.

The best portable acoustic bass I've ever had also had 16 frets, coincidentally - it was a Windsor bass banjo. Plenty loud and percussive though it worked even better tuned as a cello. I eventually got tired of being unable to bow it, though. 1/4 size or 1/2 size double basses and old bass banjos are worth looking into.