Good Acoustic Bass Guitar Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bertbassplayer, May 15, 2001.

1. I'm about to get me a Martin BG-1E Acoustic/Electric Bass Guitar... what are some good strings for it?
  2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

Try Thomastick-Infeld Acoustic Bass Strings. They are exceptionally responsive, low tension (good thing on an ABG) and sound great. They have a nylon core and bronze alloy windings so only work on ABGs eqiupped w/ piezos (not magnetic pickup)
    The have aunique gauge, which I really like... .041, .053, .068 .086. Very easy on the neck and your fingers for hours and hours of fun....
    BTW...Labella makes a similar Nylon/Bronze string which I believe is a little bit cheaper at places like Both strings were developed with Rick Turner, who knows a little something about ABGs and strings!
    I think the LaBella strings have a more "traditional" gauging...although they are also very light
  3. well it has Thomasilks on there.... when I got it, they were kinda worn out though. The store gave me some D'arddrios and I don't like them... I think I'm gonna put the worn out Thomasilks back on (I saved them)
  4. try some thomastik flats
  5. If your playing acoustically (aka non amped) then the most important thing is to ensure your strings have a high action and that the gage is not to thin. Around .45 to .105 should be ok depending on how hefty the neck on your ABG is. I note some models such as the Tacoma thundechief (great bass) have a very thin next which means a heavy gage string could cause problems such as bowing the neck. So ensure your bass can cope with the string tension, ideally a medium to medium heavy string and high action is best suited to the ABG played non amped.