1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good acoustic bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cerokilik, Oct 28, 2013.

1. cerokilik

cerokilik

Aug 22, 2013
    Clinton, MI
    What are some recommendations for accoustic basses. I've found two I like locally but I'm sure there's far better ones. a luna muse and a fender kingman. these are just two I've found and I like, the fender didnt sound too bad accoustic and luna cuz it has a moon.Don't judge me. I would prefer one with a headstock similar to the one on the kingman but that's just that.

Anyone know if luna makes good basses?

thanks in advance.

2. Broadstbully22

Broadstbully22

Dec 5, 2011
    I have a Kingman and love it. I have a great set up and black nylons on it. It sounds great. But mostly I love how it's the same scale and neck as my electric. Feels the same. Plus I think they look amazing

3. The Kingman if price isn't a difference. Feels like a Jazz and is as handsome a bass as it sounds.

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I'm looking also I found a Thunderchief but it doesn't have a preamp just a pickup connected to an output?

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    The Fender Kingman and Victor Bailey acoustics both have jazz necks, but I greatly prefer my Victor Bailey. It looks cooler and the body is slightly smaller so it's very comfortable to play. Both very good basses.

6. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    What you want is a bass that plays and sounds great when played acoustically. I ALWAYS use a Sansamp Acoustic di or Paradriver with my very old Takamine Jasmine. This bass sounds horrible with the built in preamp but always sounds fantastic with the outboard pre.
    The Thunderchief is a great bass you could own for many years. Its a top end instrument. Using an acoustic oriented preamp would give you recording quality tone.
    This is my opinion from the options you've listed.

7. LakeEffect

LakeEffect

Feb 21, 2013
    Denver
    Boulder Creek! Wish I never let mine go

8. Tacomas are also fragile as heck, at least the ones with mahogany backs.

The only example of the breed worth a damn was the Earthwood Bass. The '72 I had was as loud as my old German upright bass, but not as deep. I played the Earthwood without amplification many times and was heard pretty well but the action has to be really high.

Guild made a short-scale dreadnaught ABG for years that was OK, but the reduced string tension from the 30" scale didn't do the acoustic voice any favors. The Taylor was big and well-made but sounded like a mouse farting into a cottonball unless you plugged in.

Most of the cheaper, laminate-body basses imported from overseas are much too sturdy to be adequate acoustic instruments. Sturdiness is the enemy of acoustic sound.

Physics tells us that when it comes to bass you can have small, you can have loud or you can have deep. With the right design, you can pick two, but no way are you getting all three. It's just impossible. If it was possible, upright basses would be a whole lot smaller.

9. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Is there a budget? I've drooled over a Veillette... if only I had about $3500.

I've had two, one a Michael Kelly Dragonfly fretless, the other a (fretted) Washburn AB10. Like them both, but maybe I'm just not too picky. They run something like $600 new, $300 used. Of the two, I'd vote the Dragonfly, and curse the day I sold it. Just seemed to have a little more personality, but maybe that was the fretless aspect.

I always thought Luna looked really cool but I don't know how they are to play or how the sound is. I had a Luna electric guitar at one time, but it was a cheap starter model and not that great.

10. ProgRocker

ProgRocker

Mar 25, 2011
    Personally, I like Luna's acoustic basses. Their guitars are nice too (my wife has a Luna acoustic guitar). Currently I have a Dean acoustic bass (AEBC) that I love. Great acoustic tone, projects well (IMHO), and unplugged has held it's own against acoustic guitars like my dad's '81 Alverez / Yari.

I've also had a Takaminie Jasmine AEB, and a Michael Kelly Dragonfly 5 string fretless AEB. Of the three, I like my Dean the best. I've played Ibanez, Fender, Ovation, and even a C.F. Martin Acoustic Bass. Personally, I think Luna basses are nice, and would like to own one at some point.

That said, what's "good" is extremely subjective. There isn't a lot of love for AEB's around here (on TB). I saw Steve Harris play one live at a small club in Boston (during Maiden's X Factor tour, Blaze Bailey's first tour as their singer) and it sounded fine plugged in. Despite what many here (on TB, not necessarily this thread, just thought I'd clarify) say, I can clearly hear that a plugged in AEB is an amplified acoustic bass guitar and not a solid, semi-hollow, or even hollow body (all of which sound different) bass.

My advice would be to play as many different acoustic bass guitars as you can. Depth of body will determine how much it can project and the overall loudness of said instrument. Find what plays and sounds best to you, and buy that (regardless of what the headstock looks like:bag:). I've had an acoustic bass guitar since '96, and I always will. I love being able to just pick it up, tune it, and play it.

The tone they offer is different than anything else you'll find. Some like it, many don't. You have to decide for yourself. After all, it's your money, and you're going to be the one playing it.

11. jbossolo

jbossolo

Sep 22, 2011
    I have a Kingman and it's sweet. I have TI acousticore strings on it.

12. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    got 2 that I like/love:

MK dragonfly 5
    Turner Ren5 fretless (YES...it is deemed an acoustic!)

13. IPYF

IPYF

Mar 31, 2011
    I like the Cort offering. I used to own a fretless Cort and it was fantastic. Wish I had never sold it.

14. Another vote for Boulder Creek.

15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Thanks for the info I think I'm going with the Thunderchief and a Sansamp Acoustic DI it needs strings and a setup the string choices are getting crazy they all look good.