1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

good acoustic basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zeroun, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Zeroun

Zeroun

Jun 21, 2006
    :help: hey i was thinking about purchasing an acoustic bass but i don't know alot about them...do any of you know good acoustic basses that are really audible without being plugged in??:help:

2. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Search is your friend!

3. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Tacoma thunderchief. It is kind of like the modern day Earthwood. They come with different electronics packages, I love mine.
    [​IMG]

4. MD

MD

Nov 7, 2000
    Marin Co. CA.
    Yup...

Search ABG

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    +1 Dave Maize. www.maizeguitars.com/
    And made from reclaimed woods. Mine has a Cedar top the color of a classical guitar and walnut sides and back. It now has graphite reinforcement in the neck and plays unbelievably. It is not a "take to the beach down on the sand" bass though. This is concert quality.

6. allenhumble

allenhumble Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    +1

7. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Second the Thunderchief. I can't recommend their 5 string, though, they just added/changed the hardware a bit on a 4 string and crammed the strings closer together. That B string doesn't do much unamped, anyway.

I've got a fretless 4 string T'chief and I really like it. Lots of mwah and unamped it keeps up with one or two acoustic guitars pretty well.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Third for the Thunderchief. Mine is an all-mahogany model, and I really like it.

That said, I like my Epiphone El Capitan nearly as much (possibly as much, actually). The El Capitans were not the most consistent basses, and I played six of them before I bought one. Four of them were 'eh' to aweful, and two of them were very impressive. I liked the very first one I heard the best, so I went back and bought that one. It has served me well for many years, and held up to years of heavy gigging on the road (weekends only). If you have a chance to play it first, and you find a 'good one', the El Cap is a phenomenal bass for the money, IMHO.

But the Tacoma is a pretty darn safe bet, and a fantastic all-around ABG.

Tom.

9. As an Earthwood owner I wouldn't go that far, but I do think the Tacoma is the best ABG on the market...with the possible exception of the defunct Guild B-30, the Tacoma's probably the best ABG of the last 20 years.

10. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I thought I might be pushing it.:) I really do dig my Tacoma.

11. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I love my Breedlove Atlas - it's in the price range somewhat under the Tacoma and I can hear it with a single acoustic guitarist, but in terms of "truly audible without amplification", the Tacoma beats it by reputation.

12. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I loved the B-30 it had a tone of it's own but it didn't project very well. I think the Tacoma is amazing and a good value. The Taylor with tape wound strings is acceptable the imbuia one is real cool. They weren't worth the price new. Taylor didn't follow through on Kleins design. The Klein modded ones where he shaved the braces suffered from cave in.

How is your Earthwood? It's health I mean? I played and loved one at Union Grove in Los Gatos in 1976 or so.

13. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    I've got two. A martin B-1 that I've owned for about five years and a Taylor that I recently acquired. The Taylor wins the "cool" factor but the Martin is louder acoustically and feels more substantial.

14. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I really like my Ibanez. It's their base model, AE10B. I threw some Elixer's on it. It's pretty loud acoustically. Can't beat the price.

15. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The Martin is surprisingly loud and indeed a pro instrument.

16. I will own a Taylor AB-series ABG (preferably the all-Imbulia AB-2 for it's wonderful note clarity) as to my ears it's the sweetest sounding ABG I've played, and that the Thunderchief's body is simply too large for me to play comfortably. I'll agree it's not the absolute loudest you can find but after a theoretical K&K internal microphone/piezo setup run through a high-quality small combo (Super Redhead comes to mind) I simply can't imagine a "better" tone for my purposes.

...but that's my "dream", my ideal, and a ton of money. On the much more on the reasonable (and available) side, if I had a grand to spend I'd most likely go with a Fender Victor Bailey Signature Acoustic Bass with the leftover going to a K&K. As you can imagine from my post, I'm not a fan of piezo quack at all and want that mic for body projection and not just a piezo for string vibrations. :help:

Bass Player reviews of the VB signature and Tacoma CB-10C Thunderchief acoustics.

17. CetiAlphaVI

CetiAlphaVI

May 27, 2005
    Midwest
    Does anyone happen to know of a luthier that makes an ABG that is similar in size/specs to an Earthwood. It's hard to believe they aren't being made anymore.

18. I can't think of one, Ceti, which is why I recommended the Guild. Of all the ABGs I tried over the last 12 or 13 years, the Guild sounded the biggest but it was hard to judge the projection while I was playing it.
    The one issue I have with the Tacoma that no one has mentioned here is their (IMO) fragility -- the body surfaces are shaved very, very thin and solid mahogany gets very fragile. That could be remedied by using ply or thicker solid wood, but that would put a major damper on the acoustic tone and volume as bedevils the Taylor.

Surprisingly good, considering their reputation. Thanks for asking.
    The top is caved in ever-so-slightly in front of the bridge and there's some thumbnail wear in the finish, but other than that the bass is in amazing shape. It's an incredible instrument.

19. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Epi/Gibson "El Capitan". I have it and I love it. Definitely projects nicely, and can cut through with an acoustic guitar. It's even better with new strings. I bought it about 7 years ago for about 700 bucks.

20. A friend of mine has a Tacoma US made CB 10C Thunderchief for sale. Let me know if you're interested in it.