Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good acoustic mic'ing for under 100 bucks.

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Stupidnick, Aug 27, 2002.

1. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey Im recording a current comp with about 5 other bands. well in the process of getting it together. I wanted to record covors... Mostly like the most influencial songs that have affected my music.
    Well I wanna do acoustic covors on em.. and i wanted to know what is a good mic for recording acoustic guitars for a four track? My Mic right now is decent.. i get way to much mids though and it doesn't sound balanced out.. theres realy no eq on the mixer or anything so thats a problem sorta.. =/
    Is there a mic that sounds good that you really dont have to EQ?
    I gotta list of my songs ... i think it will be intresting to say the least..
    a GG allin Acoustic song... which is.. Dead or alive.. Decendents- Silly Girl
    Replacements- Run It
    Dead Milkmen- Rastabilly
    Elvis Hitler- 10 wheels for jesus
    ----
    Those are the 5 im recording if anybody cares or wants to buy it later on.. Im actaully maturing as a musician. Not really so much as me playing more notes or anything.. but adding more instruments. getting better sound qaulity.. Making stuff sound better. The one man band is tighter now that ive added a guitar in there. The guitar just kinda keeps the bass and drums from getting lost.. but the bass keeps the guitar from getting lost with the drums..

thanks for the time to listen to me go on and on about this.. if you can help me with my micing problem though it will be apreciated.

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    For best results when recording acoustic guitar you definitely want a condenser mic. But for under 100 bucks? Well...

The Behringer ECM8000 can be had for $40. It's omnidirectional, though, meaning that it will take up EVERYTHING in the room, not only what you point it at. Could be good or bad, depending on the situation of course.

The Marshall MXR 603 is around $80-$100 and said to be a very good condenser mic considering its price.

The Studio Projects B1 is also around $80-$100, and just like the MXR said to be good for its price.

I haven't tried either one, just passing on what I've heard. Remember, with condensers you need phantom power - you might have to buy a phantom power supply with your mic unless you have access to a mixer with one built-in.

BTW, What mic do you have now, and where do you point it? Mic placement is a crucial part of audio recording, and slight changes in placement can make a big difference. Experiment.

3. I agree with Oysterman. Small diaphragm condensers work well but may not be within your budget. What mic are you using currently? You might want to look into picking up a Shure SM57 ($79 new at GC) which is a good sounding mic that can be used on many different sources with great results.

It's true that the thing with recording acoustic instruments that will make or break your sound is mic placement. Do some searches on micing techniques. There's lots of great info available out there.

4. Nailman

Nailman Guest

Aug 7, 2002
    Chevy Chase, MD
    I can personally vouch for Oysterman's recommendation re: the Marshall MXR 603 - I use that mike all the time on my acoustic guitar (plugged into my Tascam 424 MKIII), and it kicks butt. A recording pro had recommended it to me, and he believes that this mike runs circles around condenser mikes costing 2-3 times as much.
    Good luck!
    Brian

5. Shure SM57. Takes a lickin and keeps on tickin. These things are solid and I've used mine for just about everything at one time or another.

6. Yeah, a C1000 will do the job for sure but the SM57 is a better value IMO if you are on a limited budget. You can use it on almost anything.

For the money you spend on the C1000 you can get a MXL 603 and a power supply or if money is real tight you can get an ECM8000 and a Rolls phantom power supply for around $100.

Sounds to me (and maybe I'm just assuming here) that Nick is just starting out so IMO for simplicity and versatility the SM57 is the way to go.