Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good, Affordable Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CanadianBassGuy, Sep 29, 2001.

1. Alright, seeing as I actually got me one of them job things, I'm saving for a new bass (hopefully). What would you recommend for someone who would be playing in a band kinda like System Of A Down, for between $500 and $700 Canadian?

2. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

What would that be in USD?

I have no clue what System of a Down is...
    Although, I don't agree that certain basses should only be used in certain styles. I've always thought someone should buy a bass they like, not what supposedly fits the genre.

3. I think $1 Canadian is around 65-68 cents US right now.... and yah, I agree, but I really can't afford to save all my money for a vintage Gibson T-Bird.... stupid cell phone....

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

So that'd be approx $300-$400 USD, right?
    (no calculations, just uneducated guesses, :D )

5. Yeah, I guess that sounds about right. But its 4:00 am, and I'm tired, and I got a lot on my mind, but yeah, we'll go with that. And now it's bed time, seeing as I have to go to work in 6 and a half hours.... and that still sounds weird to me... work... me... working.... strange.... sleep time.... bacon.... cheese.... I'm shutting up now.

6. MIM Fender J-bass !!

Sounds about the same as the T-bird, if you tweak your EQ the right way.. and it's just shear beauty :)

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
  8. CrawlingEye is pretty much correct with Fender as being a great starter bass. You will be able to find
    yourself or upgrade or even trade it all in one nice
    package. I started with the Fenders and I think I'll
    end with them since they make awesome basses.

Check out the fender jazz basses too. There necks are a little thinner than the pbasses.

Good luck on your JOB and welcome to the REAL
    world.

9. Jbass... think, ultrafast neck, nice versatile tone, devine bodyshape

10. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ...but it would cost about 8x the money he had left over, or about twice the initial cost of the bass. Either way you say it...it's a lot more than $50!

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Hey, CE, are houses around $50 in Easton, PA?

12. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    have you looked into any of the de armond pilot pro's? ive played them and i own a pilot plus 4, and it is a very affordable bass about $170 american. you can get the pilot pro at www.musiciansfriend.com and you can just search around for the pilot plus, i got mine at www.samash.com but i think their out of stock.

anyways, witha ll of the money youll save, you could..... buy two! then you could use that one for anything you want to! ahh, ive always wanted a bass just for looking at...... i cant find the review for the pilot pro right now on talkbass.com, (kind of lazy) but its out there, do a search maybe.

good luck,

13. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    More than $50 for a bridge and tuners?

Maybe I'm oblivious, but I never knew bridges and tuners were $400?

14. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    I would have to say follow the advice of slick519, and check out the pilot pro's. while they arent easily upgradable like a P or J would be... I think at under 200 bucks those things are a steal. I dont know how difficult to find they are right now... as i believe they are out of pruduction... but i would try to play one and see what you think! Other suggestions include buying somethign used, thats always the best way to get the most for your money.

15. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You also said preamp, and pickups.

Bridge and tuners for $50? I don't know where you're looking, but HIGH QUALITY bridge and tuners would cost almost $200, minimum. A set of Hipshot Ultralites and an ABM bridge would cost almost $300. So taking into account that you wanted pickups and a preamp, too...this is WAY more than $400. On a $350 bass. Good thinking. :rolleyes:

16. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

I apologize, I've never bought a bridge or tuners before, never found a need for it, either.

Although, I didn't say "preamps and pickups", don't accuse me of things because you misread.

What I said: "You'll have about $50 left over, you could buy a new bridge, and new tuners with that, and later maybe throw new pups, and put a preamp in it... "

;)

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    ...which is the same thing, no?

If you've never done it, don't just guess! Do some research! Really, it does help.

18. usr11242

usr11242

Oct 2, 2001
    Cinci, OH
    I can definitely reccommend one good bass for you. it might not be a 'beginner' instrument, but the quality is equal to what I've seen from Spectre, is not better. I just purchased a Dean Edge Select 5 string! I love this thing! (Neck-thru, active pickups soild construction and VERY playable!) I'd give it 5 of % stars!!

I got this one for $729 and tax (without a case, but it is a 5 string) These are US $$ I'm just so happy with this purchase that I thoughtI'd share the secret of Dean Guitars (and basses)

happy shopping,

usr

19. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

The point to my last post was that I just suggest he get tuners and a bridge, or whatever he could afford. I didn't tell him to get a preamp and pickups, that'd be about $240 for a preamp and pickups. :)

Lose the hostility.

20. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    {Gard sneaks into room...}

MTD KINGSTON 4 or 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

Trust me, waaaaaaaayyyyyyyy nicer than a MIM Fender P or J, I've owned both. Best 5 string you can get for under $2K USD and you can get one for ~$450 (sans case/bag).

No knock against the Fenders, they're fine instruments (well, the 4's are, we won't discuss the B on the 5's :rolleyes: ), but these things just play themselves.

Some of the Deans are pretty decent too...