Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good affordable p/j?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thephilosopher, Jan 19, 2005.

1. thephilosopher

thephilosopher

Dec 22, 2004
    who makes a decent affordable p/j? I dont want to go sx or brice, I'd like fender actually, but the only ones I know of are the aerodyne and they're a bit more than i'd like to spend.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I picked up a Fender MIM Precision for $300. It played better, sounded better and was better overall for quality than the dozen or so other MIA's I played.

IMO, playing them all first, you should be able to get a good MIM Precision or Jazz for very little.

3. wingnutkj

wingnutkj

Mar 27, 2003
    Scotland
    Godin SD/Freeway gets my vote, although the body shape and neck aren't to everyone's tastes. Good solid bass for the money.

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    Philosopher, I assume you're for a bass with both P and J pickups. I happen to have the Fender 2005 catalog in front of me, and you have some other choices. The Reggie Hamilton Jazz is a P/J, the P Bass Special is a P/J, the Zone is a P/J, and that's not counting Squiers or my Roscoe Beck, which I can pretty much make sound like a P/J. Go to the Fender site and take a look at these.

5. pdusen

pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Uh... the Reggie Hamilton P/J is a custom shop release and is FAR from inexpensive. Squier makes some inexpensive P/J basses.

Personally, I'd advice you to get the Ibanez GSR200. I chose it for a starter bass and have not regretted it yet.

6. zillo

zillo

Jun 5, 2003
    Take a look at those Ibanez RKB 900's at Musician's Friend... basslines quarter pounder pj set, bad ass bridge, hipshot licensed tuners, alder and maple, passive.

That's a lot of bass for $380 bucks. Bass Player said the list was about $1200 when they reviewed it a while back.

7. LarryO

LarryO

Apr 4, 2004
    don't forget the Fender precision lyte

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Schecter Robert DeLeo Bass that is a JL with Bill Lawrence pickups for sale. PM if interested.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Godin SD is a good passive P/J bass.

10. I can highly recommend the Ibanez that was previously mentioned.
    See my other post. Flawless craftsmanship, and some fantastic parts for $379. It's a great deal on a pro quality instrument.

11. Wow, MajorMetal, you still have that one? For some reason I thought you moved it a while back! Those Schecters are pretty nice - P/J pups and the old '54 Pbass body style...

12. Lets not forget, an American Made Guild Pilot.
    I have one that is a P/J , with emg pups.
    I Bought it new in 1987.
    You can find them between $275 to $400, depending on there cond.
    I love mine. Its just a great little knock around bass.
    I don't think I will ever sell it.

13. If you want to go cheaper than what's already been suggested, go for something in the Yamaha RBX range. The lower-ish models are all p/j

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    There's always the used route. You should be able to pick some sort of Precision Special or the like used for not too much coin.

15. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Still have it, i dont have the resources to put it on ebay.

16. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    I agree, I have a RBX370 (discontinued now) and it's great.

17. A used Aerodyne or MIM Precision Special would be less expensive, although I like the idea of a hotrodded Mike Dirnt model. What would be the cost of routing and adding a nice J humbucker to a Dirnt? You'd also have to mod the electronics if you want to keep the tone pot, maybe replace the Vol pot with a stacked Vol Vol? I'd guess $125 to $150...