Good all-around string

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kmanley_29649, Aug 5, 2009.

1. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    I play about 60% pizz, 25% slap, and 15% arco. I like the feel and sound of plain guts, but the E and A are generally useless, and arco tends to be rather hard. Plus a really good set is a bit out of my budget. I've played superflexibles, Emerson guts, obligatos, and Velvet blues, and they were all good, but none quite what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a string that's got a gut-like sound, lower tension than steels, no metallic twang for the slap, and a nice arco sound and playability.

I like the synthetic core of the obligatos and blues, but the steel and copper windings give the slap too much of the harsh "thwack" to me.

If this string exists, I would like to know what it is, although I'm prepared to accept that I'm asking too much.

2. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    It Evah Pirazzis for me. They are like Obligatos that don't roll and sound better.

3. Jargars?
    Available in three gauges.
    Slappers often use the Dolce gauge (thin, with green silk).

Pizz tone is very dark, without sustain.
    Edgy percussive tone, and relatively slow-speaking. (due to the heavy use of dampening material inside)

4. animas or evah pirazzi.

5. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    Innovation Braided core in Solo tuning. 140BS

Relatively cheap.
    Tone of guts, with a really mellow slap - only fractionally brighter than the SilverSlaps for example.
    Tension is comparable to Supersilvers
    Articulation and response is pure, clear, sustained, while plummy and dark like guts.
    I love these strings.
    Sample

6. Sounds good. I've noticed that, contrary to what you might think, I can get a mellower slapped note with darkish metal wound strings than something like the Innovation rockabillies because it's hard to minimize the amount of click when you snap the string with rockabillies. How high is your action?

7. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    I'd like to give those a try, but is there anywhere I can buy them in the US? I've looked online, but the only places I can find them are in Europe, and I'd rather not pay that shipping.

8. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    (action?.... you mean string height, shirley? don't let them hear you say that round here...;)

Good 10mm on the E, about 9 on the G. Pretty even.
    Just enough to get good finger tip purchase underneath, but low enough to make slapping a breeze.

The Rockabillies ARE particularly clacky, it's the light weight plastic. Silver slaps are much mellower, but still fairly light. And they sound twangy on some basses - I'm lucky, they're sweet on mine.

Nothing really replicates that gut thunk, though whacker fans insist they get pretty close. I just can't bring myself to do that though.

9. PaulKing

PaulKing

Apr 17, 2004
    London, UK
    I experimented with these as an alternative to Supersensitive Sensicore Solos (Big Bull Fiddler swears by them).

Sensicores are almost impossible to score in Europe, and the Innovations appear to follow the same design so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Certaily sound a lot like Sensicores.

So, I'd say try to get hold of some Sensicores in the US. Same kind of string. Be sure you get Solo tuning....

10. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    You can get Innovations from Jerry at www.fretwellbass.com

11. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
    Sweet. Those are one of the sets I was looking at. I'll have to give those a try.

12. http://www.quinnviolins.com/qv_innovationbass.shtml

The ones he calls "Hybrids" are in fact the Honeys.
    The Braideds are at the top of the page.

13. kmanley_29649

kmanley_29649

Jan 25, 2008
    Taylors SC
  14. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I've had the same experience with the orchestra tension 140B. In addition to what Mr King has said they are also quite easy to bow. They can have a piercing arco sound similar to gut core but this can be tamed by adjusting your arm weight. I've made a lot of string excursions but I keep coming back to these. Thank you for the input on the solo tension set.

15. Anybody know how the 140b's sound compared to Jargars? I want something a little brighter than Jargars but darker than Evah Pirazzis with low tension.

16. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I am curious. I like Obligatos. So what do you mean they sound better?
    can you expand on that?
    thank you.

17. Did you ever try Flexocors?
    (they're also available in thin gauge, by the way)

18. To me, they sound different.
    But is that better?
    It's a very personal thing.
    When it comes to subjectivity, it doesn't mean anything unless it's clearly described so you can make you own judgment.

For myself, I like the Obligatos bottom strings, and the Pirazzis top strings.
    It may be different for you.
    I guess the only way is to find out by yourself.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021