1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good all-around strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jumpingbob, Jan 23, 2005.

1. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Im a beginner and haven't really tried that much, I have an old cheap Tradition bass and a Warwick Rockbass. I hated the strings on the warwick and a friend had some nylon wrapped stings. These looked cool and sounded a little better than the factory ones, but its still not what im looking for.

I was a mellow sound out of it, but not too deep either. Kind of all-around strings not leaning to any extremes except being smooth sounding. One thing I absolutely hate that both sets of Warwick strings have had is a 'twangy' sound on a G string and slightly on the D string. I cant stand this since I play high up often.

Any suggestions?

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    You could try some flat wounds- I use Labella's (there are have a zillion posts on flatwound brands that are good) on my fretless and it gives a nice smooth mellow sound.

If your are really looking for a round wound you might want to try a nickel type with a thicker gauge to get rid of the "twang" you don't like on the G and D string.

Even new nickels will sound really bright. I like rounds for their harmonics but I really love them after I've played them for a couple of months - they have the harmonics but the brightness has worn out of them.