Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good all-around strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by jumpingbob, Jan 23, 2005.

1. jumpingbob

jumpingbob

Jan 10, 2004
    Louisville, KY
    Im a beginner and haven't really tried that much, I have an old cheap Tradition bass and a Warwick Rockbass. I hated the strings on the warwick and a friend had some nylon wrapped stings. These looked cool and sounded a little better than the factory ones, but its still not what im looking for.

I was a mellow sound out of it, but not too deep either. Kind of all-around strings not leaning to any extremes except being smooth sounding. One thing I absolutely hate that both sets of Warwick strings have had is a 'twangy' sound on a G string and slightly on the D string. I cant stand this since I play high up often.

Any suggestions?

2. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    You could try some flat wounds- I use Labella's (there are have a zillion posts on flatwound brands that are good) on my fretless and it gives a nice smooth mellow sound.

If your are really looking for a round wound you might want to try a nickel type with a thicker gauge to get rid of the "twang" you don't like on the G and D string.

Even new nickels will sound really bright. I like rounds for their harmonics but I really love them after I've played them for a couple of months - they have the harmonics but the brightness has worn out of them.