Good Alternative to Boss TU-2 = Fender PT-100!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Quadzilla, Jun 27, 2005.

1. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hi all,

I was looking for a really nice, but reasonably priced foot pedal tuner (with mute). Everybody raves about the Boss TU-2 and I've used one in the past and they are great, but I really didn't have $100 to spend on a pedal tuner. Well I just got my Fender PT-100 pedal tuner in the mail a few days ago and I'm here to tell you that it performs as good as the Boss TU-2, even on a low B! It's ULTRA responsive too, as fast as my Sabine RT7000 rack tuner on my big rig.

I got it for $45 shipped brand new ( is having a special that most items are being shipped for free no matter what the cost). That's less than half the price of the Boss. Just thought that I'd let everybody know of a GREAT deal. No I am not affiliated with Fender or, just hooking up my fellow TBers!

Pic of the pedal (one output is muted when tuner is engaged and the other is not):

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    will it power other pedals?
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I used one once, found it to be VERY unstable on the low notes, and the B was useless. Maybe I got a bad one?

My TU-2 has been perfect, as has every other one I've ever used. Worth every penny to be that SURE it's quick and accurate when I look down to check my tuning.
  4. Quadzilla

Were you using an active or passsive bass? Both of my 5 string basses are active. I'm thinking that maybe you used a passive bass and the PT-100 had trouble picking up the signal because it was not as hot, but that's just a guess. The only passive bass that I have is a 4 banger with rather hot D'Marzio pickups and the PT-100 has no issues with that one (I've only tried standard tuning and drop D thus far on the 4 banger).

So it's either the above or you got a lemon or I got real lucky, not sure but I can tell you that my PT-100 is every bit as responsive as the Boss TU-2 I tried as well as my Sabine RT-7000 rack tuner. It blows away my other rack tuner (an old Sabine 1601), which I just sold. In any event, this tuner is an absolute winner for me. Maybe Fender improved the firmware or something in newer versions. For $45 delivered, it's prob worth a roll of the dice. Plus has a REALLY great return policy. As long as it looks new and you have the box and manuals, they take it back with no issue for a FULL refund (minus shipping which is free right now anyway) for 60 days!
  5. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    You must have got a good one. I had one, and it wouldn't even reliably pick up my E string, much less a B. I'll stick with my beloved TU2.
  6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I tried one in a store a few months ago when I was looking for a pedal tuner as a gift for my singer. Used an off-the-shelf Yamaha TRB5 with active electronics. It wouldn't pick up the B string's harmonic, and it wouldn't hold a lock on the E for long enough to tune.

I really didn't want to spend the money for the TU-2 on the guy, but I just couldn't bring myself to give him the Fender. So, being the smart guy I am, I talked his girlfriend into getting him the TU-2. :bassist:
  7. Quadzilla

Wow, guess I got real lucky (which I doubt) or Fender made a design change recently because nobody could use them, which is prob the case. In any event, mine works great and yes, even for low B and other low notes! It's really ULTRA responsive too!
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I hope no one minds if I add an alternate too...

Before I bought my TU-2, I used a Qwik Tune pedal I bought new for $10 (!) at GC.

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Quad, sorry for the lag, just found this...

Nope, active bass (EMG 45DC's, EMG BQC 3-Band EQ tricked out to 18v), DOA on the E and B strings, both open string and 12th fret harmonics, just nothing there. It wasn't too useful on the other strings either, IME :meh:

Based on other comments, I'd say I didn't get a lemon, you got a rare one that "works". Good on ya, but I'd still recommend the TU-2 well before the PT-100 myself.
  10. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I like the little blue Guyatone tuner.
  11. Quadzilla

I really can't imagine that I got lucky. My guess is that they had a design problem and after multiple complaints and returns they fixed the issue. Again, mine has absolutely no issues reading low notes (down to a low b) on my passive and active basses so they had to have fixed the issue...
  12. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    I'll have to have another go at one of those, if they fixed the problem, that's a good thing! I thought the design was good, just the execution on the one I used stunk.

Still not lettin' go of my TU-2! ;)
  13. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    It seems to me as though Fender DID recently change their PT-100 pedal tuners. The older ones were called PT-10, and only had LED's for note indication, as opposed to the PT-100's LED array plus the alpha-numeric display for note and string names. They probably wised up to the shortcomings of the previous design and addressed the situation accordingly. Anyway, it's great that you found a piece of kit that you are so pleased with, and even better that it cost so little coin. I hope it keeps you in tune for years to come. Thanks for sharing your discovery and good luck
  14. Quadzilla

Could be he was using the PT-10. Here is the pic of the old one (PT-10) on top and the new one on bottom. Looks kinda like the PT-100 less the LED Alpha display and other slight cosmetic changes. Guess they updated the internals on the new one that I got too...