1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

good alternitive but funky style pickups for jazz

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ziggy44, Jan 21, 2012.

1. ziggy44

ziggy44

Jan 15, 2012
    Yup, just Wat the title says... I am thinking about, but not sure if I want to, replace my stock Mexican j pickups on my fender jazz standard. I really want actives, but as far as I know, that's not possible. I am sure there r plenty of options out there and I would like to hear what yall have to say about it. Thanx!

Ziggy

2. What quality from the actives would you be looking for? Clarity?

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  4. ziggy44

ziggy44

Jan 15, 2012
    Clarity, yes and as anyone who plays fender j's knows the feedback issue gets old. I like the idea of the controlability of actives. However I have never owned an active bass. So I don't know much about them. Humbuckers would b nice. I am just ignorant to what options r out there. Or even if its worth looking into

Ziggy

5. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    I never had feedback from a Jazz bass. That sounds like the pickups needed to be wax potted. But they do hum.

I used EMG J's for many years. They are fully shielded, stacked humbuckers, so they don't make an once of noise. They are dead quiet in every situation I have ever used them in.

They get all the usual Jazz bass tones. Now they have several styles, such as the vintage series with exposed alnico magnets, and the new X series which is clearer than the original versions.

Here's a studio recording I did back in the 90s with an Ibanez SR-885LE with EMG Js. It has a very upfront bass part. :) The rhythm track was recorded live in the studio. The bass was recorded from the DI of a GK-88RB.

Blue - Disorderly

6. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    Sounds good, Dave.

7. ziggy44

ziggy44

Jan 15, 2012
    That dose sound good. And I apologize for my misswording. It is not feedback per-say, just a hum