1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good amp for $300ish?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Knownothing, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Knownothing

Knownothing

Nov 6, 2010
    I'm buying my brother an amp for this Christmas. He's been using a really crappy $70 dollar practice amp for three or four years now. I want him to be able to jam with his friends. However I'm not rich or even close to it. Not struggling, just not so loaded that I can buy him the best.

I'd just talk to him about it, but I want it to be a surprise. Can any of you fine gentlemen or ladies help me out? Links or advice is appreciated. Thank you very much.

2. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    What type of music does he play? You should be able to find a used combo for that price. Something with a 15" speaker if he does more rock type of stuff. Quieter stuff he could get away with a 12" combo. Carvin has some new combos that might be close to your price point.

3. Are you wanting a combo amp (amp + speakers in one cab), or a separate head and cab?

What bass does he play? What music?

4. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
  5. Knownothing

Knownothing

Nov 6, 2010
    Combo amp I think. He plays a lot of different kinds of music, but mostly rock. Beatles, Pixies, RHCP that kind of thing.

As for the bass I'm not entirely sure. I bought it for him at my local Guitarcenter about 4 years ago. It had no brand name linking it to a company. The only marking it has is a large cursive "A" at the head of the bass.

6. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i would agree with lbwdog on the GK MB112 combo. i'm sure your bro would get a lot of mileage out of that little guy.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'd recommend snagging a used Genz Benz M Line 200 2x10 if you can find one.

They IMO, beat the GK hands down in the tone department.

8. I would absolutely agree with the GK....great little combo for the money!

Good Luck!!

9. Knownothing

Knownothing

Nov 6, 2010
    I cannot find theGenz Benz M Line 200 2x10. Gonna keep looking.

Thanks for the link to the GK. That's about right on the money for what I'm looking to spend.

Does anyone have anything to say about the Acoustic B200 200W 1x15 Bass Combo? It's ever so slightly out of my price range but seems like a good deal. But I no absolutely nothing about amps and I'm pinning all my hopes on the collective knowledge of the experts on this forum.

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B200-200W-1x15-Bass-Combo?sku=482902

10. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    i own an acoustic 1x12 combo practice amp. i've played some of their larger cabs and have been thoroughly unimpressed. i wouldn't recommend their stuff. the practice amp is fine for a practice amp. but no way that 1x15 combo is going to sound as good as the GK--and it's 75 pounds!

11. Honestly, I don't get it. Every Acoustic amp I've played through has been stellar. For me it was just the opposite, Most
    GK Combos I've played through sounded fragile to me, not enough balls IMO. Just IMO. :bag:

12. Ronny49

Ronny49

Aug 22, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    +1 on the Acoustic. Best bang for the buck!

13. Nothing wrong with an Acoustic for the money.

14. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
    Search craigslist for a Peavey 15" combo. They are loud, solid, sound pretty good, and you can find em cheap. I had a TNT 150, and it was awesome.

15. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
  16. baron665

baron665

Apr 9, 2010
    Michigan
  17. Knownothing

Knownothing

Nov 6, 2010
    I searched craigslist for Peavey 15" combo amps. I found one near me for really cheap. About $100. He doesn't give any real specifics about the amp. No picture. He says he's just trying to get rid of it as he doesn't play anymore. Says minor aesthetic damage. No speaker cover mesh.

I'm always nervous about buying used items. You can't really return it if it's no good. I know for a fact the practice amp my brother uses is a Peavy and that thing is just... awful. I'm not so sure about this. But the price is good. D:

18. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    Find out the model number of the Peavey, some of them were quite powerful if heavy.

At $100 for this combo (if it is the appropriate model), you've got enough budget left over for an extension cab; would be a rockin' move up for your brother.

=wr=

19. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I have an Ampeg BA-115 HPT that I bought off another TBer (who had simullisted it on CL), used for about $375. Been very satisfied with it, and it has enough power (220 watts) for jamming with anyone and for most gigs, at least smaller ones. The BA115s generally seem to be pretty good midrange workhorse combo amps.