Good Amp for Acoustic/Electric bass...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by asnutter, May 20, 2005.

1. asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    I have been looking to buy a new amp for a takamine 4 string acoustic electric bass I just bought...

was wondering if anyone has any advice on a combo type amp which would be good for a small "coffee house" blues/rock/jazz environment...

I am fond of the Crate 50 watt combo job, but am not sure if I need that much wattage...
  2. You cannot have too much wattage.

How much you want to spend?

If you want a weenie amp but sounds good and is light, then check out the Peavey Microbass or Fender Rumble 25 or one those Ashdown entry levels.

If you got some cash, check out the GKMB150. They seem to hold their value and prices are usually ihigh n the used market.

The Phil Jones Briefcase would be good too. I saw one for around 500 on TB.
  3. asnutter

May 11, 2005
    Southwestern PA
    i saw that fender rumble 25...was hoping to get a bit more wattage...was thinking of spending about $300???
  4. Well the reason people like that little Fender is the tone is suppossed to be good.

Some people like those little hartke kickback combos. Maybe the 10 would be ideal if you can stomach the Hartke tone-which many argue is nasty and brittle and an equal number argue is good.

I jsut checkout out the entry level edens but the 10 is too big and heavy for what you are after

You should look for an SWR workingman's combo. The WM10 is a cute little cube-portable and perfect for small venues. An aggressive dealer may sell you a floor model or something for $300.