Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Amp for Bag End S15-D

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by safiph, Apr 8, 2002.

1. safiph

safiph

Nov 26, 2001
    Flatlands
    Hey all,

My lil' Gallien Krueger Backline 1x15 125-watt combo crapped out on me (power supply problem) and I figure this is a good excuse to upgrade. =D

I'm looking for a good amp to pair with a Bag End S15-D (200 watts +). Any opinions or suggestions? My price limit is about $500. I play blues, jazz, funk, and rock..

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Can a Mesa Walkabout be had for that? I know the one I demoed with my Bag sounded great!

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Ampeg B2

Louder than SVT3pro, light, reliable, and cheap

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Unfortunately, Walkabouts go for about $800
    (he says as he adjusts eq on his:D )

$500-that's the problem, unfortunately.
    For a cabinet as great as a BagEnd, especially a 15", you should really get a high-end machine to do it justice, and the appropriate units cost more.
    Either go used, or take a look at G-K 400 or 700RB's or one of the Hartke Models.

Or Carvin, or Peavey, or Ampeg all have models in that range I believe; not sure about Ashdown Mags.

You really should try & spend a littel bit more for the Bag End, IMO-
    Good Luck!

5. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Larry J makes a good point. I just replaced my Eden 410XLT with a Bag End S-15 D for small and medium size gigs. It is a killer cabinet. However I'm using my Eden WT-500 to power it. The 500 watts powers the S12-D beautifully but the little Bag End sucks up all that power like you wouldn't believe.
    I would be hestitant to use anything less than 300 watts unless you don't need much volume. But if you're going to cut through guitars and drums the S15-D will do it well but only with enough power.

6. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    for that price id get a new R series head from carvin. or if you can find a good used one, an good sized eden. i say carvin because you can grab 1000 watts fairly affordably. the preamp is of very good quality. its a first rate head at a good price.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I played for three months with my new S15-D and my old 400RB before I built my new rack - the tone was very, very nice. The only reasons I replaced it were a desire for more power and a need for more knobs!

8. kayu

kayu

Feb 16, 2004
    I thought I'd revive this thread as I have exactly the same query. I'm looking for a fairly loud amp (preferably with a stereo mode so that I can add another S-15D in the future if needed - eg Ampeg B4R) that can cut through in small venues the mediocre rock that my band usually plays. I prefer a warm sound to a bright one, but dabble in a wide variety of music, so would like something with some tonal flexibility. Finally, I want a compact and portable setup, so no Traynor MonoBlock II... And all of this ideally for less than $500 used - though I'd be willing to go over if something was really worth it. Is this possible?

While none of these fulfil all of the above criteria, and quite a few clearly exceed the price limit I've set (by a lot), I have considered:
    Ampeg B2R / B4R
    SWR SM400
    Eden WT-400 / 500 / 550
    Mesa Walkabout
    EBS HD-350
    Acoustic Image Clarus
    Euphonic Audio iAMP 350
    and...siiigh...some cheapo Peavey (eg Firebass)

I'd be grateful for any comments on these heads and any others that I may have missed. I know most of them have been recommended at some point with the Bag Ends, but which would most closely match my preferences? Or am I being totally unrealistic in wanting a small, light, cheap-ish, loud, good-sounding, and tonally flexible amp with a bridgeable stereo output to boot? :meh:

Thanks!

9. jbass67

jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    like josh i also used coaxial & regular be15's but with
    a b2r. pulls the power from a normally underpowered
    amp. the draw is the smooth old school ampeg tone
    it produces.

10. RS

RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I would go with a sans amp bass DI and a cheap used power amp. Good tone, more headroom.

11. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I've been using an Ampeg B4r (Bridged 1000w) with my two Bag end 15's for my small set up with my classic rock band, and it does the job well. But I wouldn't exactly call it a warm sounding set up. Lot's of midrange to cut through. I suppose that some eq'ing could warm things up some. I've thought about adding one of those new SVT DI boxes to warm up my rig but right now I am working on getting my Ampeg classic cab set up (again). I will always keep my two Bag end 15 cabs just because they are so portable and can handle a fairly loud band situation. Another possibility you might think about would be an Ampeg pre amp with a good power amp. I think a few guys here use that set up and are happy with it.

12. jbass67

jbass67

Nov 17, 2003
    sorry! forgot to add my b2r goes through
    a mxr di to add some vintage color. i also
    have pa support so i don't need massive power.