Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good amp for crate cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mr. Oysterhead, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Mr. Oysterhead

Mr. Oysterhead

Apr 15, 2004
    I was hoping that someone could give me a good suggestion on a midgrade to low-end head. I have a crate cabinet with 2 15"s in it and am planning on getting a 4 10" to go with it. I play mostly rock music and would like to use some effects in the future also. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. chunky

chunky

Nov 3, 2004
    Portland Oregon
    Peavey Firebass

check ebay, they go for pretty cheap, are very loud, and can handle 2 ohms. They're supposed to be reliable, too.

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    What ohm rating is the Crate? It needs to be an 8ohm to add the 4x10 at 8ohms (equaling 4ohm) to match most heads. Most will only drop to 4ohm. If the Crate is already 4ohm then you will need to get a 4ohm 4x10 and then a head that can drop to 2ohm. The only cheaper heads that can do this are Peavey. They can be had cheap on Ebay and are very reliable. Make sure a head will go 2ohm before pourchasing. If 4ohm will get it done, the Behringer 300 head will throw loudly at around $229.99. I have heard one live through a 2x15 and it sounded good.