1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good amp for "lead" bass?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nickdot, Jun 3, 2014.

1. nickdot

nickdot

May 12, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Looking to replace my Acoustic B200H bass amp. My cab is a Mark Bass 104HR, bass is a MIM Jazz Bass with Model J pickups. I play a lot of lead melodies with fuzz a majority of the time. Looking to still keep the eq of the band nice and even; so not looking for a bass amp with crazy highs that mush up with guitar. Looking to get either a Little Mark iii or a LM800. Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. GK. They're bright and present and with the 'boost' function might be just the ticket.

3. This was my immediate thought too.

4. Another vote for GK. I now play in a two piece which requires my bass (a Gibson Ripper) to be heard quite prominently. I use my GK 800RB all the time. I crank the boost and engage the hi boost occasionally which gives me all the grit I will ever need. Even without the hi boost engaged, I still get tons o' grit.

5. My new rig is a sans amp RBI, crown xls 1500, and a rack tuner in a 4 space gator rack bag. It all weighs about 20lbs which is made even easier to carry because the rack bag has a shoulder strap. So it's about the same as carrying a single bowling ball bag with a shoulder strap. As for the highs clashing with guitars i handle that issue with my cabs. I either use an ampeg 410he with the horn turned down on the back of the cab, or i use an ampeg 810 which doesn't have a horn at all. Really digging the setup, it was affordable (most expensive item was the xls1500 at about $350 new)and it Is dead silent when your not playing. No hum no hiss.

My only real complaint is there is no bridged speakon output on the crown, so you have to use a special speakon cable to bridge the amp. If you've ever used an svt4 it's the exact same deal, so i had i go on eBay and find a svt4 bridging speakon cable.

6. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    A guitar head with big transformers.

7. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    Bag End S15 stack. Lots of mids, takes effects well.

8. George Mann

George Mann Banned

May 27, 2012
    Colorado
    One thing that you forgot to state is why you are looking for another amp. What do you not like about the Acoustic? Is it preventing you from achieving your desired task?

BTW, I like the Standard 151HR the best as a lead or soloist cab.

http://www.markbass.it/product_detail.php?id=30

9. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    gk mb800 rb2001 or mb fusion if you want tubes, they have footswitchable A and B gain channels like a guitar amp so you can have a clean and dirty channel with no extra pedals.
    if you want a good example of what gks distorted channel sounds like listen to any tool cd

10. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    i don't think there are any amps suited for lead bass, or metal or jazz. you have to be able to dial in the amp settings to extract what you are looking for. either by boosting what you are missing, or cutting what you don't like, or both. maybe the speaker is the weakest link ? have a you tried anything like one of those fearful speakers ? they have higher quality drivers than most mass market bass cabinets. if you can give us a better idea of what is lacking, we may be able to give more specific advice.

11. nickdot

nickdot

May 12, 2013
    Austin, TX
    It just has a dull sound, compared to the LM iii I used to used (was another band member's). So I was thinking about just getting the Little Mark again but I really haven't had a lot of amp experience. The Acoustic just lacks any life in my ears, even with a decent EQ dialed in on it. My only fear of an amp with "grit" is that it would mush up my fuzz pedals (russian BM, Ass Master, pickle pie b); would that happen? I also don't want a metal sound. I want a rich warm tone with punchy low end, tight mids, with a kiss of highs to let the fuzz do its work.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  12. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    I say go for the markbass if you like it. Those things are reliable as hell and you can dial in a lot of interesting sounds with just their filters. I set the EQ flat on my MB combo head and do all the tone shaping with the VLE and VPF.

nickdot likes this.