1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good amp for lots of lows

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by GillesUnchained, Nov 22, 2006.

1. My band has two guitars, sometimes three, and now a keyboard player. I very much like the harsh, metallic tones of Entwistle and David Wm. Sims, but I finding more and more that there is just no room for me sonically except for at the low end.

I have been struggling with my amps for some time now. I've been using a borrowed Ampeg Classic in rehearsals and like it a lot. But both my singer/producer and I agree that the next amp I look for should be something that has exceptional lows and not so much mids as the SVT Classic.

I have one 15" Black Widow (which is broken right now) and I would be willing to get another 15" or even an 18" to go with it. Can anyone suggest a LOUD amp that has fantastic lows?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Aguilar DB750.

3. It's funny you mention the B1500 because that is the amp that is always on my list every time I consider switching to a new amp. What kind of speaker cabinet do you play yours through and how loud is it, if you could compare it to something else?

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Glockenklang Heart-Rock, then.

5. Try the Marshall VBA400- a tube head w/ 8x6550's HAS a MOTHER of a bottom end to it & goes WAY WAY loud! I gots the Fender Bassman 300pro & it too goes loud, loud , loud!!!, has a HEAP of bottom end too-10 band EQ, Bass boost, & bass EQ pot! I use w/- Svt410HLF, EVTL115-MORE bass than I've ever heard B4- even with the 410 it CAN have too much bottom! & is SOOOO LOUD I've done some BIG gigs & still not had it past 5's on master & channels. The Marshall is as good or better!!!!!

6. Zakk007

Zakk007

Jun 27, 2006
    Deep yet defined lows = Ashdown ABM

7. You can put the very best electronics in front of crap speakers, and it will still sound like crap.

Playing in the deep-down will put you in conflict with the kick drum, and most likely cause a whole lot of mud in the typical venue. Been there, done that. My two 1x15 subs are flat down to 30 Hz, but the typical bars I play turn it into unresolvable mud.

Outdoors is a whole different issue:

This is the ticket for live big bottom

Similar to girl friends, the above are always better in pairs :D

8. Warr Tapper

Warr Tapper Inactive

Sep 17, 2006
    Work
    Euphonic Audio NM 410

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I swear, every time I read one of SMASH's posts, my GAS for a B1500 is renewed.

I think I will ultimately get one. It really does sound like a hell of an amp ESPECIALLY(!) at that low price! :eek:

10. I have been leaning toward that one for a while. And I could probably sell the rig I have now and have enough to buy one. I would really like to get something that is powerful, has strong lows and is simple to use. It seems like a good fit.

11. I would look into the Eden stuff.

If you like the speed of the 10" speakers, I do, then you might try this setup...

(1) Eden WT800B amplifier
    (2) Eden D210XST bottom boxes
    (2) Eden D212XLT top boxes

You put the 212 on the 210 and the coupling is amazing. Very loud, very low and shreds.

Or use 1/2 the number of boxes and then add the others later as you begin to play really big venues. :)