Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good amp for metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Black 'n Tan, Mar 26, 2005.

1. My son is forming a metal-type band that plays stuff like Godsmack, Korn, Disturbed, etc. He has an Ibanez K5. What would be a good amp/cab setup for him? He needs to keep up with a guitarist with a Marshall. I'm not sure what the budget is yet ....

2. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Depends alot on the budget. Any brand of amp can pull off a metal tone really. You really gotta get your son out there to try some stuff out. Also, are you looking to get a big combo amp, or a stack? I would say if you can't spend alot check out some of the lower end harkte and ashdown stuff. SWR also has some reasonably priced stuff. SWR, in my opinion, has some really great stuff for the money. If you want to spend more you could check out ampeg, mesa, sunn, fender and some higher end SWR stuff. Ampeg is always a good choice, its all I use. Mesa and the higher end SWR amps and cabs are really awesome too. I owned a Sunn 1200s for a while. It was a monster 2-channel amp, clean and overdrive. That would be a great head for metal.

3. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    All the bands you mentioned use Ampegs, so if you have the money that's a good direction to look in, assuming he wants to emulate that sound.

Aside from those mentioned above the Kustom heads are well thought of by some here and seem to be pretty versitile, but I've played one.

Again, give us a budget and we'll have better luck helping you out. Also its imperative you get your son to actually play through as many amps as possible, preferably in settings besides a large music store where its hard to really hear what a rig can and can't do.

4. OK .... under $1,000?

He likes Ampeg, but I'm not sure you can get a head and a cabinet for around $1K.

I wouldn't be opposed to buying used.

5. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Check it out. Ampeg stack

I mean its not the best, but it's still pretty good.

6. EBMatt

EBMatt

Nov 21, 2003
    Springfield, MA
    Also this. Ashdown 4x10 combo

I think the guy from system of a down uses ashdown. So your son might want to check these out.

7. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If he likes ampeg I'd say go for the B2R head but get a 410 or maybe a 212 from Avatar. Ampeg cabs are mediocre at best, but priced very high because of the name, not worth the money at all.

Here's a list of their bass cabs. They also offer bundles with amps from Ashdown and Hartke.

http://www.avatarspeakers.com/list bass.htm

A B2R and a cab from Avatar would be around $1000 new.

8. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Actualy Godsmack uses SWR, Korn uses Mesa Boogie, and Disturbed uses GK :).

EDIT: Now that I think about it Disturbed might use Ampeg and GK, I'm almost 100% sure their old bassist was a big GK guy.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I personally would recommend GK for metal. Their cabs now handle 400 watts, so a 700RB-II and a 410SBX should slide in right under the budget if you shop around.

10. Agree with all the above advice

My $0.02? maybe a Peavey - they have a very rock sound for their buck. Only thing for me was they didn't do anything else, really.

11. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    At one time or another I know both Korn and Godsmack had contracts with Ampeg. I was pretty sure the same was true for Disturbed, but I could have confused them with a different act.

I know when I saw Korn (when they were opening for Ozzy on the Ozzmosis tour) there were Ampeg logos all over the place.

12. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Fieldy was using Hughes & Kettner last time I checked.

13. dangjalopy

dangjalopy

Nov 8, 2004
    I use Ashdown's MAG amps. I got the 410 cab. I play in two bands. one is metal and the other punk/surf. It handles both types well and is relatively cheap. I paid 600 bux for the head and cab at americanmusical.com .

14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    In Fieldys latest videos and tour he was using Mesa gear. The "Yall want a single" video had him sporting PowerHouse 1000's with M-Pulse 600's. He is also a Ampeg guy and played Hughes & Kettner back before Issues. I think his ampeg use is only for combos, on the ampeg poster he's just got a bunch of smaller cabs in his car.

Now to not take away from the topic. You really can't go wrong chosing from any of the big names. The type of metal you've mentioned is more of the Nu-Metal crowd, Ampegs will do their job there. I'd suggest GK or Peavey; those new GK neo cabs look great.

15. Dirty Dave

Dirty Dave

Oct 17, 2004
    Boston, MA
    If I needed an amp to play metal with a budget of under $1000, I'd probably consider the Hartke 3500A and 210/115 NEO cabs, all from Avatar for a total of $926 shipped.

16. +1

17. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    You get the same two cabs and a good head from GK or Ashdown or even Ampeg for about the same price, just have your son play a bunch and pick the head he likes the most. Whatver head it is Avatars will match it well.

18. Thanks for all the excellent advice! Ampeg ... Mesa ....GK ... Hartke ... SRW... Ashdown .... Avatar .... whew!!!

(Personally, I lust after Mesa gear, just name recognition I guess).

19. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    For metal, probably better with a single 4x10 cab than a 2x10 + 1x15 cab. Cutting through will be a lot more important than the extra boost in the bass.

Definately try to play as many possible amps as possible. Most amps will work for metal, but will need to be loud if nothing else.

I'd go with an Avatar 4x10 cab and his choice of a head.

20. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Shop used!!! For $1000 you should be able to get a nice rig put together. If at all possible, get the lad a pair of less expensive 4x10 cabinets or an 8x10. (15+410 would be OK too) Peavy TX series would be a good choice here. If you pick them up used they should be really cheap, which will leave some room in the budget for a decent head. People around here seem to like the Avatar cabs, you could try a pair of B410s, especially if you can find them used! It may take time to find them locally, but that is your best bet since they are so expensive to ship.

A head of 500 watts + would be great! Even if it is just a hartke :p There are lots of cheap heads out there that are OK on sound quality ... carvin and peavey and SWR "Workingmans" all come to mind as also being reliable.

Those marshal 4x12 cabs are really beasts on volume ... so the more speaker area the better! You don't need to get the "best" sounding gear around, the challenge is just to make enough noise to be heared.

PS. You are a REALLY COOL dad to be looking for a $1000 stack for his kid's metal band! :D