Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good amp for Thumb Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Dr. Funk, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking about a new amp this summer. I play a Warwick Thumb and was wondering if any particular amp would compliment the " Sound of Wood".

Thanks!

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Depends on the sound you want and the music you play. Give us some dirt, and I'm sure we can help you out...

3. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I'd agree that more information would be helpful.

If you want a warwick sound you might check out some of warwicks heads. I've never played one, but I'd imagine they'd complement their basses well.

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    in my experience, eden is great for playing a thumb bass through. what you should do is go to a shop with your bass and play through everything they have. that's how i ended up going with my metro. i've tried several warwick heads, and i wasn't that impressed.

5. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A variety of good amps may suit your purposes but, who knows? We have no idea what you're trying to achieve. A Warwick Thumb is a quality bass and it will sound good through any good amp. What is it exactly you want to know?

6. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    The Thumb has a unique sound, some amps have a unique sound. I was just wondering if anybody had come across a combination that, in their opinion, did a nice job of bringing out the tone of this bass regardless of the type of music.

7. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i haven't come across a rig yet that makes my warwick sound as good as my IOD does.

fattens up where the warwick needs fattening, has growl where you want it...it's great man.

jason

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    The SWR sm-500 or sm-900 is an awesome bass amp for the thumb ,theese amps tend to have a very uncolored sound and will reproduce the sound of whatever you plug into it,especially when compared to Ampegs which give a distinct signature sound(wich i think are awesome too) give one a try at your local music store , as a matter of fact ,try every amp you can get your hands on.I play a thumb through an sm-500 and a Goliath6x10 cab.

9. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    Thank you gentlemen, those were the kind of answers I was looking for !!!!!

10. I would go with something heavy on the low midrange to complement the Thumb's big lows and knife-through-hot-wax high mids. Thus, I'd recommend an Ampeg, Aguilar, or Eden rig. The Eden + Thumb combination seems to work particularly well.

11. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    i played a thumb5 and infinity5 through my aguilar and some crappy 2x10 cabs and got a sick tone. i'd still have the basses if the string spacing was wider. the aguilar db359 is alot more flexible than most people think.