good amp for under $300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by greasemonkey, Feb 7, 2001.

1. greasemonkey

Jul 26, 2000
    my other amp just blew, i dont know what happened, and quite frankly, i dont care, cause i want a new amp, that's pretty loud, maybe around 100 watts, what's a good amp for around 300, preferably under though, thanks for the help.

2. Check out Carvin.I hear they make killer equipment and amps.Never tried one ...yet.My Crate BFX50 ran 326.00 out the door.Carvin may be your answer to getting a 100watt for your budget.Just a thought.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Used. But there's a risk. Unfortunately amp problems can be harder to discover than problem with a bass (a bass doesn't have to heat up to malfunction).

Maybe someone on the board is upgrading ;)

I just bought a pro-quality 400w head with semi-parametric EQ for $250. It's perfect.
  4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Just tagging on to Usul's good advice; something like $280+ s&h will put you in the driver's seat of their PB100-10 of an 8 ohm, 200W, 10" woofer, driven by 100W of power. My Carvin's are their R Series, but I've heard very good things about their PB's. Fender Bassman 25's are about $260+ s&h but you don't get the wattage of the Carvin.

[Edited by rickbass1 on 02-10-2001 at 05:08 PM]
  5. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I'd agree with Brad. Used is generally the better deal, but comes with a risk. I got my Crate BX-100 for $325 out the door, and I'm pretty happy with it. I'd say look around your area, compare prices, blah blah, etc. See who's running sales, and who's willing to compete on price. My Crate came from a small local shop that did me the deal because GC had a sale going on.