Good amp repair in NYC/Brooklyn?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deepestend, Aug 29, 2005.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I need to get my SVP-Pro checked out. Can anyone reccomend a good person/place to me?
  2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Call Jimmy at N.Y. Guitar and Bass Boutique on 9th. He is a great guy and probably can steer you in the right direction.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    have a car? try

jimmy works on all my amps, and does a terrific guitar amp of his own. give him a call.
  4. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    Jeff Bloch's Guitar and Amp Wellness Center in Brooklyn. These cats are older than Fender and definitely know what they're doing
  5. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I should consider Jeff... last time I went they were so rude to me that I swore I'd never go back. It is close to me, though, so maybe I should give them another try.
  6. sporad

sporad Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Unfortunately, I cannot recommend him and the "
    Amp & Guitar Wellness Center" though it's in my neighborhood.
    I had brought my amp in and tried to tell him (Jeff) what was wrong, but he stopped me and said he didn't want to hear it, they would figure it out.
    well, after picking it up and bringing it back because it wasn't fixed, not once but twice, It still isn't fixed.
    They kind of suck:(
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Jeff Bloch is a lowlife. He has no respect for anyone, and I will never bring anything to him again. Had 2 expereinces with him. Both bad. Once with a Peavey amp, and once with P bass. He was the only authorized Fender person around so I had to take my bass to him. He wouldn't fix it even though it clearly had problems. Said he didn't want to take the chance of messing it up more and then have me blame him.

Anyhow, I bring all my gear to Maggio Music on 85th and 18th. Nino Valenti used to work there and will also I'm sure give you the thumbs up. His prices are excellent, he's a good guy, and he does excellent work. If you call, ask for Mike Jr. 718-259-4468. Tell him Joe Nerve sent ya. And he'll probably charge you more. Nah... we know each other since we're 7.
  8. JmJ

Jan 1, 2008
    Harry Kolbe Soundsmith, 27 west 20th Street in Manhattan.
  9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  10. Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    I haven't had very good luck with Jeff either. I second Harry Kolbe.
    You could also go to 30th Street Guitars. They do nice, careful work.

Rock City - Jimmy closed that shop and moved to california about two or three years ago. It was nice while it lasted.
  11. bassix67

Apr 5, 2010
    Concord, CA
    Rogue music in the Music bldg on 30th?
  12. spellcaster

Mar 20, 2007
    I've been looking for a great amp tech also and think I will be taking some work to Matt Wells at 49 Crosby Street soon. Anybody here have any experience with him?
  13. BklynBassman

Sep 13, 2012
    I just had my Fender Geddy Lee Jazz bass set up by Patrick Nelson, he is also located Park Slope/Windsor Terrace area and he did a great job. The neck had to be straightened quite a bit but now action at bridge and nut a sweet. I would highly recommend Patrick, his prices are very reasonable and he's simply a great guy to deal with (no condesention here).