1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Amp Repair Places in Atlanta that won't screw you

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sollie7, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    Are there any? Wizard is awful. Logical sound did basically on my warranty repair and then charges me $100 to replace a freaking jack on my head that I could do in 10 mins. Oh yeah the problem is still there. Needs the mosfets biased, then the lady is explaining to me what it would do if that was the problem as its doing that. Then goes on to tell me that the mosfets are fine. I also brought my cab and bass and she tried to blame it on my new mesa 212. Saying that some models are better then others! Yeah guess the svt 3 pro is horrible even though it's the number one selling amp of the series. Needless to say I need a amp repair place that will actually fix the problem and not try to screw me. Really frustrating because Im tired of throwing away my time and money just to get screwed and still have messed up amps. Now Im probably going to have to sell my Made in America Svt 3 pro just because no one around here actually cares enough to fix a simple problem.

2. Tanner5382

Tanner5382

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    You might be able to get some help at Powder Springs Music Center, AKA Tazzlyn Guitars. Those guys are friends of mine and I've see them do good work on Ampegs before. Their phone number is 678-401-4077. And I agree, Wizard is horrible.

3. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Off topic, but I used to live in middle Ga and would take gear up to Atlanta for repair and spent tons of money at Wizard. One time I dropped off some gear and asked for directions to Alex Cooley's Electric Ballroom, I was going to see Rush (I think they had Carress of Steel out at the time)- I told the tech I wanted to get there early to get a good seat and he said "oh, don't worry-they're not that good" Then when he saw the look on our faces he kind of chuckled and said "oh, sorry." Yeah who's laughing now Mr. Wizard!!!

4. TBGFRED

TBGFRED Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Panama City Beach, FL
    I regularly use Andrews Amp Lab. Shop is located a block north of the perimeter on Chamblee Dunwoody.

andrewsamplab.com

Guitar Amp Repair at Andrews Amp Lab, tube amp restoration and modification.* Specializing in vintage and servicing all makes and models.* Handwired Andrews Amps.​

Jeff specializes in tube equipment, including making guitar amps, but also works on my old solid state stuff, including rescues of mass-produced stuff I bring in from the church or for friends trying to extend some ancient combo's life, etc.

The shop is full of classic tube gear waiting its turn, and that suggests discriminating users also find value here - apparently from far away.

Its a small shop, so probably no overnite fixes, but ring him up. If he's elbows deep in a repair, he calls you back. Calls you when work is done or when a go/no-go decision point is reached.

Happy new year.....

5. TBGFRED

TBGFRED Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Panama City Beach, FL
    I regularly use Andrews Amp Lab, just outside the perimeter on Chamblee Dunwoody....

Tube or solid state, reasonable rates which makes normal repairs affordable, reasonable turnaround times, and Jeff calls with problems and when your stuff is done.

Last time I was in, owner of the Atlanta Bass Gallery was there getting advice about selling classic vintage bass amps....

Good luck

6. kevmoga

kevmoga

Jan 25, 2010
    Georgia
    Strong second to the recommendation on Andrews Amp Lab. Jeff is a standup guy and really good at what he does. Easy access off 285 in the Chamblee area. Can't go wrong.

7. Sollie7

Sollie7

Mar 13, 2011
    Woodstock, Ga
    alright ill prob give him a call thanks guys

8. q0rban

q0rban

Jul 6, 2013