Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

good amp settings

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by biting_nails, Mar 22, 2003.

1. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    hey guys, i was wondering if you could reccoment some good amp setting, for the ibanez sw25. it have bass, low mids, high mids and treble.

im after rock, and metal settings. cheers

2. Without knowing your setup, the standard setting for rock and metal is usually something like bass and treble each on 6 or 7 on the dial, and mids scooped out at around 3. Playing in a band setting you'll want to dial in some more mids though so you can actually be heard.

You should prolly dial in these settings or something similar and then start playing around with the knobs to see what sounds best to you.

3. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    cheers!

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Lately, I've been playing with e.q. settings that look like a "frown" as opposed to the smiley face thing. (Which makes me smile).

If you boost your mids, you'll find that you cut through better in a band. I used to always cut my mids but now I love boosting them, especially high mids. I think the bass and treble can be cut a little or set flat.

5. How bout setting your amp flat and playing with the knobs until you get a sound you like?

6. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Yeah, That's the usual way to use e.q.
    :D

7. jad

jad

Aug 29, 2002
    Pittsburgh, PA
    You absolutely have to work on your sound while you're playing with your band. EQ settings that sound great without the band get totally lost when the rest of the music starts. If you can't wait to play with your band, then at least crank up your stereo; I've found this to be really helpful. Do what John K says, start flat and tweak from there. I'll go one step further and say start by subtracting what you don't like. If you're still not getting THE tone, then start adding what you think is missing. I have 4kHz and 60Hz rolled off a bit, with a tad of boost at 250Hz, ala Schwinn.

8. with that amp, good luck in a band situation sticking to what sounds good when you're in your room... 25 watts sucks man, you need more power!

9. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    thanks everyone.

im not really looking for a band setting, just for bedroom blasting

10. Hehe, my 120 watt hartke isnt good enough for bedroom blasting! you still need more power!:D

11. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    ROCK!!!:bassist:

12. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    I have that exact amp (I don't use it anymore). Great for practicing ALONE. Back in the day me and my guitar buddy would jam, and his crappy 10 watt amp with a 4 inch speaker would drown me out!! Plus when it got hot it would start clipping like crazy and made some awful fart sounds.

When I started rocking with guitarists that had 4x12s, I cranked everything to full and could barely hear myself. But now that I have 1500W, I don't have that problem anymore :D

13. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    i used to jam with a guitarist with an 80watt amp. my sw25 did the job, but i coulda used more cut through