Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good amp to match to Aguilar DB 659

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikeels, Dec 3, 2002.

1. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    Iv'e kind of narrowed it down to the QSC PLX 3002 or the Stewart world 2.1. I read on the board that the QSC needs a lot of signal to obtain good volume. What about the Stewart? Are there any reliability problems with the stewart? Will the DB 659 drive the QSC?
    Thanks for any Help.

2. yeah, mine :D

3. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    I recently purchaced a world 1.2 to go with my db659. They sound great together. The stewart doesn't seem to be as sensitive to input levels as the Carvin power amp that it replaced. The stewart power amp will clip but only with everything cranked- which I guess is a good thing. I do recall playing through a DB659/QSC rig at a rehearsal studio and it sounded great- no problems driving the QSC that I can recall.

4. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i have 0 experience with plx amps but i have a stewart 2.1
    no complaints at all
    although i would reccomend a 1.6 or 2.1 as they are th eonly 2 with fans and the other models are prone to overheating
    also i would reccomend getting a power conditioner as the stewarts tend to be a lil sensitive
    i did run an aguilar 659 through my stewart for about a week and it sounded terrific

5. Mikeels

Mikeels

Apr 20, 2000
    So.CA.
    Thanks IvanMike,And all who answered!
    I won the Stewart World 2.1 on EBAY, So I'm pretty excited about my new rack. Thanks for the advice about the power conditioner.......I was going to run the rig without it for awhile but your reply has me thinking otherwise. I'm going to put an aphex into the rig too......but can't decide if I want to run it thru the effects loop or post preamp.
    Any Advice?