1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Amps for Metal?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Phoebus125, Sep 6, 2008.

1. Phoebus125

Phoebus125

Aug 24, 2008
    Connecticut
    As I am an amateur when it comes to the bass, and especially when it comes to knowing bass gear, I of course have many questions to ask of those more learned than me...
    My style in bass playing tends to be more towards metal. My current bass has the bottom four strings of a 135 five-string set, cranked all the way down to low ADGC. Although replacing my Behringer Ultrabass 300W amplifier is probably in the distant future, I want to do my research as I go...
    With that being said, is there any make of bass amp that tends to be especially good for metal, or will just about any good amp do if I can EQ it right?

-Phoebus

2. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    I see a lot of Mesa Boogie rigs in metal.

Tons of Ampeg SVT-2 PRO heads into Ampeg SVT-810E cabs.

also a Mesa Boogie 400+ into an Ampeg SVT-810E is quite popular.

3. Myth_103

Myth_103 Supporting Member

I agree! Mesa 400+ or SVT 2 Pro. Also, maybe an Orange ad200? I've seen metal guys use those with great success as well! Much pricier though!

4. Waspinators

Waspinators

Jul 22, 2007
    South Florida
    Any all-tube Ampeg head, Orange AD200B, Mesa/Boogie 400+, and the Marshall VBA400 would be your best bets, but really any amp can sound good for metal with a Sansamp BDDI in front of it.

5. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    ampeg 4 pro on top of the others people have listed.

6. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    If you are looking for a good amp for metal and you don't have the $$$ to shell out for a Mesa or Ampeg rig, go with a Hartke. I had a 3500 head for about 5 years and it never let me down. It is a full feature amp with lots of tone shaping, and coupled with a decent cab, it can sound pretty good. I had it plugged into a pair of Hartke Transporter cabs, a 4x10 and a 1x15. Sounded awesome and the silver cone aluminum drivers look badass. Its not the most powerful thing, but sounds clean right up to max volume and they are cheap and bulletproof. Mine was dropped and had beer spilled on it numerous times, and I only had to replace the 12AX7 preamp tube once in 5 years. It will definitely be a step up from a Behringer. Hope this helps and good luck.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    For some reason metal sounds great through GK rigs to me (RB1001 specially)and I'm a tubes/mesa boogie lover.

8. heath_r_91

heath_r_91

Jun 3, 2006
    Topeka Area, Kansas
    Endorse:Artus-Basshanger-Dava-EC-Hartke-Orange-InEarz-SHS-Tigi
    I always put the Orange AD200B to DOOM kind of stuff, but I'd imagine it'd be pretty good for metal as well.

9. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Yeah, I saw Prong several months ago, and both the guitarist and bassist were using Orange rigs. They don't look metal, but they definitely sound metal.

10. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    On the solid state side of things I love my GK 1001RBII.

11. Woking Bass

Woking Bass Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2006
    London, ENGLAND
    Peavey T-Max is an old favorite with the Metallers here in UK.

12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can play any kind of music on any amp. But to play metal, you should have a decent sized cab that can move some air. 410 is probably a minimum.

13. with that tuning you will probbly want an 18", or some 10's that can handle frequencies that low with ease.

14. tomzilla23

tomzilla23

Aug 11, 2008
    Oakdale, PA
    I play metal and my gallien kruger always gets the job done for me:smug:

15. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    +1 for the gk and i use 12" speaker cabs.