Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Amps for US$250 that can take the B-string

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ny_chan, Oct 14, 2005.

1. Sorry for the little money. Any suggestion?

2. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Maybe the Ashdown MAG300. It's a bit over your price range, but with that it's pretty tight.

3. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Any amp can reproduce the B-string. It's the cabinet that has trouble. Are you looking for a head, a cabinet, both, or a combo amp?

4. Any combination. As long as it's witin the budget.

5. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    So wait, do you have speakers or want a combo?

6. To be frank. I have nothing yet. What is the best value for so little that I have..... :meh:

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    This is gonna be a tough one on your stated budget.

Two questions:

1) Are you playing with other folks (need volume), or is it for practice alone (less volume)?

...and...

2) Before I make any suggestions, what brands do you have available in Malaysia? I simply don't know what you have access to....

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    You will need speakers and an amp, or what they call a "combo amp" which is essentially the two built into one box. I don't know how prices are where you are, but at your price, you won't find much. Id either save up, or spend some time looking at the used market. A used SWR LA series, a number of Ampeg of Peavey combos, would all work nicely.

9. Play in church. About 150 ppl. Brands avail. in Malaysia- VOX, Fender, Roland, Ibanez, Yamaha, Line6, Marshall, SWR, Peavey, GK, Hartke & Behringer.

10. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    OK. You're in a jam. You need decent volume, and the ability to handle a low B. For $250. Wow.

As Dan said, look used. The values are MUCH better.

Apart from that, I kinda like the Ashdown and Yorkville combos, if you can find either of those.... some of 'em flirt with your price range.

This church doesn't have a house PA, does it? One with decent bass output?

11. I'm thinkin of an amp that can work for practice and small gigs.

12. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    I'd sell you my Hartke B90 that I've been meaning to get rid of, but Malaysia's a ways away.

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    +1, have one at school, built like a tank and decent sounding.

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    +1

(or is that +2?)

:D

Joe.