Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Amps...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Nero2Xtreme, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Nero2Xtreme

Nero2Xtreme

Mar 23, 2003
    Spokane, Wa
    Okay.. i am in need of some opinions as far as good amps goes. i currently have a Peavey MicroBass Amp and i'm looking for something larger but not looking to spend alot, as of yet.

:confused:

2. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    What kind of sound do you want?

3. Nero2Xtreme

Nero2Xtreme

Mar 23, 2003
    Spokane, Wa
    Well..being new to all this..i'm really at a loss of an answer for that..i basically am looking for something that sounds good all-around..

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    well it really depends on what sound you want and where your going to play. your probably a newby (its ok, everyone was once) and sick of people telling you this is good, and so is this. but you need to know what you sound like, and what you want to sound like.

thats the long answer, in short, you can stay with peavey, SWR, eden, or Ampeg, you cant go wring. if you dont want to spend big $$, ebay is the best palce to start. ;)

5. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    I agree with Kirby; "can't go wrong with Ampeg, SWR, or Eden."

The questions, however, as a bassist, how much money and power, and what kind of sound / music are looking to play???

Personally, after doing plenty of shopping and listening, I found that it's best to take 'your' bass with you and listen to amps playing through the same cabinet you'll be using. Otherwise, you'll find yourself inadaquetly satisfied...

michael s.
    BTW: E-Bay is indeed a great place to shop around... if not the Recycler.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Take a look at the Fender Bassman series.

7. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    The Microbass is a sweet sounding amp. IMHO, any larger Peavey combo would be a good choice.

The Ampeg B2 combo is nice too.

The Fender Bassmans sound good too. Have also heard great things about Genz Benz.

But I like Peavey's myself-try one, you might like it too.

8. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    yes. Theyre awesome amps, sound great