1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good and cheap power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by krstko, Jan 16, 2012.

1. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I'm looking for a cheap power supply for few pedals :) Is worth buying one of those ''huge powerplants'' like Voodoo lab (I would go for cheapest, so harley benton) or is 1 spot good enaugh? What's worth it's price? :)

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I have a 1 Spot and I haven't had any problems with it so far. I twist-tied it up in my Pedal Train Mini. Pretty slick setup.

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah...a surge protector at the back of my pedal board (for the 12v and 18v pedal wallys) and a one spot for the 9vs. I've never had a problem and I'm a little ***** about my clean sound.

4. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    1 spot all the way

5. buglen

buglen Brother of Boomertech

Apr 8, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Administrator, FEALabs.com
    If you only need 9v DC for your power requirements, then the 1-Spot (or Godlyke Power All) should work fine. I recommend buying a second one for backup so you're not stranded at a show without power for your pedals.

6. WhoSeyes

WhoSeyes

Aug 18, 2008
    Barcelona.
    I use the Harley Benton Powerplant you mentioned.

I bought it "knowing" that it was not the best option, but tempted by the price.

Surpisingly, its not noisy at all. In fact, the other day at our practise room I checked a new PEDALTRAIN my guitar player had bought (with power supply included) and it was noisy has hell, compared to my powerplant.

I was quite surprised. But happy.

7. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    I have only 9v pedals so I will probably just get a 1-spot :) cheap and good is what I need ;)

8. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Ok, is there a cheaper alternative to 1 spot? It's damn expensive, 30eur for 1 spot with 1 output and 25eur for split cable ..55eur?!!!

9. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I paid $32 American for mine. And that was the "combo pack" with adapters and an eight-pedal cable.

10. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    Yeah....that seems STEEP. Checked other stores/sites?

11. I got a Danelectro DA-1 9v wallwart for $5 not including shipping. It's quiet enough to power the preamp in my activebasses and should have enough oomph for 3-4 normal pedals. It didn't come with any patch cables. It was on sale at MF or M123 at the time so it may be a little more now. You can get one through GC clearance for $7. The Danelectro daisy chain cable (DA-5) is $8 at GC.

I tried a few others with varying degress of success. A behringer wall wart introduced so much noise the signal was unuseable. My T-rex Jr did well with an opamp-based pre but causes a little noise in the JFET-based pre I custom built for one of my basses. The Danelectros have done reasonably well with both and are cheap.

I haven't tried the onespot. Note that any supply which would work with an on-board pre should do fine with pedals. Pedals have more room for power supply filtering and usually have more opamps which are less susceptible to power supply noise.

12. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    didnt think about you being in another country. in the US the one spot is one of the best and cheap power supplies. i guess the difference in what you need where ever you are makes it more expensive.

13. krstko

krstko

Aug 29, 2011
    Cerknica, Slovenia
    Well there are many cheaper versions here, but I'm afraid of hum :/

14. I use the carl martin pro power, and it's pretty fantastic. Has 8 outputs, each switchable from 9-12 v, all isolated, 6 of them do 150 ma, 2 of them do 350 ma. Plus it's a little cheaper than a voodoo labs pp2. No hum or noise whatsoever.

15. spaga

spaga

Sep 29, 2007
    hi,
    since the vs 1 delivers 1700mA of current, this will easily be distributed among all the pedals.
    But what if you connect this power supply to only one pedal, would the 1700mA of current burn the pedal?

thanksss

16. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No. The power supply doesn't push 1700mA into a device. It is a limitation of the total can be pulled from the power supply. Incorrect power supply voltage is what wrecks things.

And please don't buy a cheap one. For a while I was using a Boss RPQ10 Parametric EQ with an off brand 9VDC power supply. The EQ offered great control, but that darned EQ always had a bit too much noise, I found it quite irritating. I later found out the noise was due to the cheapo power supply. With my 1 Spot, it's perfectly quiet now. I wonder how many pedals I tried and sent back because they sounded lousy, all because of that power supply.

17. spaga

spaga

Sep 29, 2007
    Thanks for the reply,

I was using power supply with a high current, and I had a pedal burnt :( a boss bass synth, so most propaably could have happened because of a power surge in the mains,,