Good B-strings?!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by andreas_bass, Nov 24, 2000.

1. Hey!
    I have a problem!
    I'm using EBS-strings and I love them very much. They sound just as I want them to do. So far, so good...
    BUT the B-string sounds awful (I play 5-str). The B-string is just dead!
    I've also tried the DR-B-string and it sounds much better, but they don't sell just the B-strings. You have to buy all 5 strings. I'll like the EBS-strings more (1-4), so I don't want to buy the hole DR-set.
    I have an idea that I could buy a 4-string EBS-set and a spare B-string of a different brand.
    I there any strings out there that sounds like EBS, that you can get only the B-string?

Thanks for your help!
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Which makes of strings sound like your EBS's would depend a lot on which EBS set/guages you have. I know you don't want to buy a whole set but you might try They're going out of business/liquidating their inventory and have a set or two left of several types of DR Hi-Beams and Lites at very low prices.
    In my experience, EBS are good strings so your problem sounds suspicious, especially since it's just the B string. You might try this - Take something with iron in it, like a paper clip and try to check the pickup(s) magnet placement. Your magnet may not go far enough under your B string and the response will be unbalanced, (i.e., EAD & G sound fine but not the B, it's unbalanced with the rest of the strings). Hope this isn't the problem, since a new pickup is more expensive. Or maybe one of the pickup gurus on Talkbass know how to fix the problem without replacement. Good luck!

[Edited by rickbass1 on 11-26-2000 at 02:46 AM]
  3. EBS normally have an excellent B, you may have got a dud set. I've never come across a bad one, but there's always a first time.
  4. Thank you for your replies!
    Almost everytime I get a bad B-string in the EBS-sets.
    I went to my local musicstore and we tested several EBS-B-strings. The fourth one we tested sounded good. Strange!
    Can it be my bass (Ibanez SR 885)?
    That shouldn't be it, because the DR-strings I've tested sounded good. All of them!
    Is there any other strings that sounds like EBS?
  5. Dean Markley SR2000's are great strings, but they are tapered over the bridge saddles, so ya hafta alter the saddle height to compensate.
  6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    yeah, another vote for the Dean Markley strings - the taper core makes them actually easier to intonate and get in tune more accurately all along the neck.

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    About taper vs. non-taper: wouldn't the fact that some of the vibrating length of the taper wound string is of a drastically different guage than the rest of the string affect the performance? (in a physics sort of sense) Of course, the perfect taper wound string would have the "meat" of the string guage begin right next to the bridge saddle, but I've never seen this. There's always 1/8", 1/4" of core in the vibrating legth of the string. I suppose I'm picking nits, but has anyone else thought of this? How about an adjustable string anchor so that one could place the start of the string guage right next to the bridge saddle, no matter where the intonating of the string places the bridge saddle? Did I just invent something?