Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good back-up bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ndjx, Jun 28, 2002.

1. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I need another back-up bass. My GSR200 is crappin' out on me and I'd like a new one under $300. I was lookin' at the Squier Jazz and the OLP Stingray, any other suggestions aside from those? I've never played either but I have played a real MM Stingray and Fender Jazz (MIM and MIA) and I'm wondering how much do they differ.

2. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Yamaha. BB-404 should be in that range, according to the fact that MF sells BB-604 for $350.

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    \

dont buy a squier, please dont! No offense, but those are terrible. But my suggestion to you would be, have the GSR 200 be your back up, and buy a better bass, if you want i can sell you a n SR300DX CLICK HERE

4. If you want the Squier Jazz, play it. Go over it with a fine tooth comb. Every now and than, you'll find one that is really good. Good thing about Squiers, is that the warranty is covered by Fender, since it is a Fender instrument.

I've not played the OLP MM clones, so I can't tell you. I do know that they warrany is not covered by Ernie Ball.

The Squier is about $100 cheaper than the OLP, but I think the Jazz bass is a more versatile instrument than the Ray.

5. I played a Squier P-Bass Special a GC. it played just fine. Not all Squiers are the same. The ones from Indo seem to be really really bad... If your into eBaying you can find Squier basses for around $110.oo 0r so.... hay! um those Essex basses get good talk> If I was you, I would just get a MIA 2002 Fender Jazz and be set for life.. use the GRS200 as a back up...... Whatever. good luck.

6. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Any opinions on those OLPs?

7. OLP? I tried out the fiver... it was OK. it didn't even come close to sounding like a MM.. It was light. I think the body was made out Balsa wood or something..... It wouldn't be to bad of a bass to have for a back-up bass.

8. I am one of those weird souls who will buy a budget instrument and then put all sorts of standard after-market mods on it to make it special. Dont discount Squire. Their Korean-made instruments are of such high quality that the executive who engineered the turnaround was actually fired by Fender since the market for their Mexican Standard basses was being eroded. Keith Brawley landed on his feet and now runs Brawley guitars. My lead player swears by his Brawley.

As for OLP, I would avoid it like the plague, based on the one I played at GC not too long ago. They had it on a stand next to a real 'Ray, so I got to really compare and contrast...then again, I prefer the feel of the Sterling over the 'Ray anyway, so that could be a component of how I feel.

Peavy has begun to make a name for themselves in the high end, but have never lost sight of what made them successful earlier on. Their newer budget basses will give Squiers a run for the money on quality, and have 21 frets as opposed to Squier's 20.

9. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Some of the OLPs I've handled were decent (about on a par with a Squier), whereas others were total crap. Try before you buy!

A suggestion - a MusicYo Steinberger Spirit XT2 (the boat oar) or XZ2 (bolt on). Either can be had in fretted, fretless, five string, or drop-d versions, all for around $300.

I have a pair of the XT2s, and their quality is impressive! Neck thru construction (maple) and decent fretwork, bridge and hardware. They play great after you set them up and sustain for years. And they're tiny for a backup or travel bass!

10. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Any place online where I can check these Brawley and XT2s?

11. A TX2? I think he was looking for a bass not a caneo paddle! :eek: No really they would make a good back up back up bass... ndjx, Don't you live near any music stores? Go out and play some of these basses in your price range. You are ultimately the one who will decide. Really come on were talking a back up bass here. I think any cheapo bass would do.. Get the damn Squier and get on with your bass playing.....

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Steinberger Spirits are only available direct from MusicYo.com, who are a great bunch. Here's two typical basses - there's quite a number of different ones available:

[​IMG]
    Steinberger Spirit XT2DB

[​IMG]
    Steinberger Spirit XZ2

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    For $300 you should be able to find a MIM Fender.

Why get the Squire wen you could go another step up?

Peace
    Nick

14. used MIM Fender would be in that range

15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I think the extra $50 for a MIM Fender P bass is worth it.

I would personally go used, especially if its a backup.

Peace
    Nick

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd drop the $$$ on a Cort Curbow. Excellent budget axe, IMHO.

17. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Brawley.... I believe thebassplace.com has them for 395 and often eBays them for less. I almost availed myself of one.

18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Cort Curbows are nice.

Thats probably gonna be my first 6 string.

I probably woulda gotten one already if it werent for the fact that im not sure if It would be easy to make it fretless. Its not wood BTW.

Peace
    Nick

19. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    One of the nicest "cheap" Basses Ive played was the OLP. In fact, the last one I played I wound up buying(and Im a die-hard Fender guy). For the price there pretty good, imo.

A Squier is pretty good for the price, and theyre easier/cheaper to upgrade than the OLP, since all the standard Fender stuff should fit with little or no modification.

Take a look down in the TB Classifieds, Ive seen some really good deals there.