1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good "backup" head for URB

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by fovea1959, Jun 30, 2017.

Tags:
  1. fovea1959

fovea1959

Feb 10, 2009
    SW Michigan
    I'm looking for something decent for doubling in emergencies....

My AI is having issues, and I need a compact head to get me through a series of big band gigs while it's getting shopped. I double, but am willing to settle for a single input and switch cables when I switch instruments.

I have an EA 12" to use for a bottom; the URB has a Lifeline in it. I have an active pickup in the Carvin BB75. Need DI.

Anyone have experience with the TC Electronics BH250? Anything else in the <$300 range that would be decent for URB? Next gig in less than 2 weeks, and no time next week to send AI out to shop....

2. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've been looking for something similar. The Gallien-Krueger MB200 (200 watts, 1 meg ohm input, $300), Markbass Nano (300 watts, 2 meg ohm input, $400) and Trace Elliott Elf (200 watts, 10 meg ohm input, $300) are three affordable micro heads that have high impedance inputs that would work well with piezo pickups. Of the three I'm leaning towards the Markbass as I'm currently using their products. I've also enjoyed using GK gear in the past, but I have no experience with the Trace Elliot head which is new to the market. That head is the smallest of the three.

- Steve

Groove Doctor likes this.
  3. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Call Rick at Acoustic Image. I once had a repair that was out and back in just over a week. I'm sure if you call him he can expedite things. Have you done this yet? The repairs are usually free, so its only the cost of shipping. Less than buying a new inferior amp.

Ric Vice likes this.
  4. DoubleMIDI likes this.
  5. I've got a bh250 laying around somewhere. Don't really use it anymore. I was always happy with the sound I got out of it for UB (and electric) but for the money/wattage range you're looking at I prefer the GK mb200.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I've got a MB200 as a main head, and another as a backup. The first was second-hand off the TB classifieds. The second was on some kind of crazy discount coupon thing from Musicians Fiend, and I got it when I thought that my other spare head had crapped out. I think that I fixed the other spare, but don't 100% trust it yet.

I have a little bag containing spare head, a complete set of spare cables, and a preamp-that-shall-not-be-named, that I always throw in the car when I go to a gig. The bag also serves as a pillow to raise up my bass so the scroll doesn't interfere with the gear shift lever. ;)

Randy Ward and Ric Vice like this.
  7. Me too...mine permanently lives in one of the storage compartments in my trunk.

My go-bag even has a spare battery for my preamp-that-shall-not-be-named. :) :)

8. A DB-friendly preamp into the Effects Return of almost any amp will get you by for now. Wait until you're certain you like a backup head.

I've got a GK MB200 that has a great tone. @fdeck can tell you the EQ settings for a flat response starting point.

9. fovea1959

fovea1959

Feb 10, 2009
    SW Michigan
    ...if you already have the preamp...

The TC is off the table; not high enough input impedance for my Lifeline.... The used GB disappeared while I was at jazz camp.... probably will end up with the MB....

10. fovea1959

fovea1959

Feb 10, 2009
    SW Michigan
    Found a used GB 6.0, and a TC RH 450. Anyone have any experience with either of those for URB?

11. I have the rh450. Really happy with it for the most part. My one complaint is that the bass knob is set at 280hz. You can bring it down to about 70hz, but I get better results using a HPF to cut the lows. I'm using a realist copper foil on my fully carved bass so it's a fairly low end heavy sound to begin with though. Being able to change the center frequencies of all your tone controls is really useful since you can dial in/out exact frequencies specific to your bass and then store your settings with the preset function on the amp. I really like it as a doubling amp for that reason too.

12. fovea1959

fovea1959

Feb 10, 2009
    SW Michigan
    we'll find out! used rh450 on the way....

thanks for the specific advice; I'll do some fiddling [ha!]....