Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good, bad, and ugly... but all good in the end

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by nicoli, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Bad:
    Saturday night my band played in a festival here with about 8 other bands, we were slotted to go on at 10:30 right after another band we normally gig with but ended up getting pushed back to 'after this band' by the promoter.

Now we were to play 'after the next band' for the 5 bands following them as well, which got us quite pissed off and most of our fans left because we didn't end up going on until after 1am.

Ugly:
    Once up on stage we were totally out of it, and played pretty poorly. The sound was terrible, my amp was on the far side of the stage and I had the guitarist's rig behind me and coming out of my monitor (the sound man had left) so I didn't hear a single note I played the entire set. All this, and we lost about $100 playing the show while the promoter took home roughly $9000.

Good:
    It was the first time we've headlined a Saturday night show, even if it wasn't planned. The crowd loved it and I think every single person in the bar told me how great we were after we finished. We played two encores. The bar owner who had been completely anal all night came up to us and took down our contact info and told us she would call us to open up for touring bands as the future local support.

It's amazing how one minute you just want to walk out of the door and go home and the next you're the happiest person in the world.

2. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Cool man, where was this?

Let us know when the next gig is and we can haul out the beer jugs for another TB Ottawa meeting... :)

3. This was at Bumper's, not the finest venue but it works (and they have a new stage).

Two probable gigs coming up in December at some classier establishments, I'll keep you posted. I've never been one to turn down beer before :D

4. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yeah - count me in, too, nicoli. Share the wealth!

(...and I'm still feeling just a bit guilty for snatching that amp from under you....)

DD

5. Awesome, we're now confirmed for Dec 19th at Barrymore's!

I'll start a thread in a couple weeks or so and see how many Ottawa guys we can snag. We're planning on doing like 2000 posters and just covering the city, so hopefully this will be a pretty big show.

I only hope you can hear me with my underpowered amp... ;) :p