good<=>bad player

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by DaVEPe, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaVEPe

Aug 6, 2002
    when is somebody good in bassplaying??

personally i think when somebody can perform good bassplaying in his band...
    let the discussion start :)

2. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    There's a difference between "good" and "good ENOUGH" :D
  3. …if you’re asking a fan of Vic Wooten:
    “When you can double thumb like a mutha, then you’re good!!”

…if you’re asking a fan of Jaco:
    “When you can redefine the instrument and become a legacy!!”

…if you’re asking a fan of Jeff Berlin:
    “When you can place 10,000 notes in one song and have them all fit tastefully, then you’re good!!”

…if you’re asking a fan of Fieldy:
    “When you can hit your bass really fast and get that clicky sound, then you’re good!!”

...if you're asking a fan of Pino Palladino:
    "When you can intonate a fretless better than a fretted, then you're really good!!"

…if you’re asking me,
    When you play to make your band sound good, then you’re doing it right. In fact, everyone in the band should do that. This renders a product which is so much more than the sum of it’s parts.

Although, I wish I could play like Pino;).
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I did a thread very similar to this in Miscellanious not too long ago. Check it out if ya want.

What makes a good bassist

IMO you are a good/decent bassist when you can at least do these 3 things.

The first is having a good solid meter, our first and foremost job as bassists is to assist in keeping the tempo. You can play a million notes a second and know all the theory in the world, but if you cant keep time, then its all useless.

The second IMO is when you can just lay down a fairly decent bass line based on the chord changes. You just know what to play without having to give it much though. It doesnt have to be flashy to be good IMO either, just tasteful.

The 3rd is when you can hit your note choices accuratly and articulatly. What I mean is, not hitting many bad notes (accuracy) and when they ring out clearly and smoothly. (articulatly)

You dont have to be able to do the things Victor, Jaco, Pino, etc do to be good. Just MHO
  5. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    If you can play 16th notes at 300bpm, you've learned everything you'll ever need to know.
  6. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.