Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good/bad tone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by btrag, May 2, 2005.

1. btrag

btrag

Mar 7, 2005
    Chicago
    Ok, these are subjective terms, right? So, when I look through musician classified ads and read "band seeks bassist, must have good tone" I'm left dumbfounded. Are there any absolutes in regards to good tone? Is it genre-dependant? Or, can one man's awesome tone be another man's crappy tone? (right now I have P-Bass with Ampeg SVT-400T, into a '15 speaker).

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Way too subjective to comment. Id say it depends a lot on genre, and yes one mans great tone is anothers tone nightmare quite often Id venture to guess.

Id say just call them and ask what they are looking for tone wise, they will likely not really know and want to hear you anyhow to decide.

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I usually take this as meaning that the band wants a groove player rather than a technical player. But really, it could mean anything. The ad, by definition, was not written by a bass player.

Like Juneau said, you really have to phone up and ask.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Good tone?

Does it make your neck hairs stand on end, the good way? Yes? Then you have good tone, to hell with the others.