Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

GOOD Band Websites

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by therealting, Feb 14, 2005.

1. I'm doing some development on a website for my band, and I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good band websites to look at.

My personal taste tends to be for simple, lightweight designs which are easy to navigate.

I have taken a look at a few, but it seems to me like most of them are very heavy on Flash etc, and it can be hard to get any useful information out of them.

Thanks,
    Johann

2. I really dig that setup joe...I might have to try somethin like that on my band's website when I make it.

3. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    www.pikestation.com Ok well I am biased because it's my band and I developed it but I like it. It's simple and gets the job done.

4. Zombass

Zombass

Feb 8, 2005
    England
  5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
  6. rfalter

rfalter

Jul 20, 2004
    Pasadena, MD
    I asked this very same question here about a month ago ... This is what I came up with My_Site .

7. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    I think mine is well built
    http://www.brutalrepublic.tk

It has a php show posting backend that automatically shows the next show in the latest show section and moves old shows to the previous shows section. I have a couple of PHP monkeys keeping that running and updating it for whatever I need. I designed the layout in CSS and layers using a transparent image over the links instead of image maps.

No java is used to launch it either pure html.

8. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    We just finished our site and it's really easy to get around, quick to load. These were the two prerequisites IMO. www.lowdogs.com

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Here's my band's site.

If you like it, you can contact the guy who did it (his link is at the bottom) and he can do the work for you. He's a pretty amazing artist.

10. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    One of the coolest sites I have ever seen. Wow.

11. kristoffer

kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Sweden
    I have made my band site and you can find it at http://www.theflamingmoes.net . I (and most other people) find it easy to navigate and fast loading.

I have some tips for you (and for some of the other people who posted sites here). These are tips that I think are usefull, and it's only my opinions.

1. Don't use a entrance page. Let the visitor in to the site right away. If you have a ugly starting page with a bad looking logo or photo you will probably loose alot of visitors right there.

2. Don't use bright color text on dark backgrounds. (There's a reason most books have wite pages). Don't use background images that makes the text hard to read. And don't use dark text on dark backgrounds / bright texts on bright backgrounds.

3. Don't force the visitor to listen to you music. I almost allways listen to music at my computer and if a website i visit starts to play music, I close it.

4. Make the navigation easy to find. And use text navigation, not hard to understand images.

5. If you want to, use flash. But don't over use it.

6. Use the webstandards (www.w3c.org). This will make the site usable on more platforms.

Theres tons of more stuff you should think about. But start with these things.

/kristoffer

12. fastplant

fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Connecticut
  13. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    For the most part I agree with that but I have plans to have our latest flyer to be shown on the entrance page to get the visitor informed on our latest show so they know we are playing soon and where. (and my layout idea wouldn't work out on a full page)

Everything else I agree with whole heartedly. My only gripe is my site is not 100% w3c compliant due to a code to remove the 1pixel border around the site to make it seamless, everything else is compliant thankfully and tested in IE,FF, and Opera.

14. kristoffer

kristoffer

Jul 8, 2004
    Sweden
    I think a flyer is OK, cause it's information. Information is good, that is why I visit your website.

What I really don't understand is the "You have come to "insert bandname here" website. Click here to enter". I know where I am, I don't want to click more than necessary.

/kristoffer

15. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Mine is the best ---> http://sdr.alternative.lv :) (of course not, just kiddin') , old version, but new coming soon.
    My favourite band website--->http://www.norarockmachine.com and http://www.normajeannoise.com

And of course one local band website ---> http://morethantalking.net

16. WickdMOnkey

WickdMOnkey

Nov 18, 2003
    Illinois
    I agree, but we have one our site because our stupid guitar player threw one of his baby fits until I put it on there. So I just put it there to shut him up. I agree though because you know what site you are on.

17. stropsrats

stropsrats Owner: www.kennedyaudio.com

Feb 14, 2005
    Valders, Wisconsin
    I'm guessing here, but I think most band websites are a little overdone is because they never intended the site to find it's audience by search engine keywords. They depend on other advertising, so they take more liberties.

You may want to try to get google and other search engines to index it high due to content.
    For this, you should read all the free web design articles that pop up on google and infoseek
    and MSN.com and others. Make sure you have robots.txt on the same directory as your main
    page and screen out any pages you don't want to submit to text indexing. The large
    backgrounds are hard to get loaded, that's why you see a front stopper/delay page -
    to allow the preload statement time to do it's thing so the indexing page does not
    appear to be taking forever. Look at the source of my page at http://www.thermcoat.com
    and notice the bottom page navigation bar, buttons, page links and downloading method
    subroutine calls. Notice the top button bar scheme that duplicates some pages
    that are called up by html links. Notice the way margins are used - the biggest
    learning curve - it's done with tables. You'll find most all the tricks there, and if you
    use notepad it won't screw up the file, just save it on your hard disk. Sound is not
    allowed by most search engines, unless the customer clicks. Again, deviate if you
    don't care, but it takes years to get a page ranked well, so you have to take care.