Good Base For Newbie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GiveMe5Dollars, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Hey, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if the OLP MM2 was a good beginner bass? I like the way it looks and my friend said he'd sell it to me for $125. Is it a good bass if I play metal and hardcore type music? (Scars of Tomorrow, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall, Himsa, Metallica)

heres a link if you don't know what it looks like:
  2. Those look great. Just click on the "base" link.

I've heard all good things about OLP's. I'd say go for it.
  3. Philthy

Philthy Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Wallington, NJ
    Yep, I'd have to agree as well. I used to own one and for the price, the quality and construction is excellent. I'd say go for it, too. You'll be happy. Then one day you can up grade to an actual Stingray.....and you'll even be happier.
  4. thanks. I almost have enough to get it now, by the end of next week I should have it woo and hoo!

These generic fenders are cool-looing and pass TB's high level of scrutiny, a claim not to be taken lightly.

I will be happy to pick the model and color for you. Stay away from those MM copies. This is an important fork in the road for you and I don't want you to go the wrong way.
  6. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I recommend home base. It's really the best of the bases.
  7. Frankly I'd suggest bypassing EBay and just buying it from Rondo Music .

If you are going to go for an SX then I'd seriously suggest perhaps:

SX Jazz

I got one in a few days ago and it plays very nicely. Definitely on par with a MIM Jazz (Fender Jazz, Made In Mexico).
  8. bassjus

Mar 30, 2004
    All your bases are belong to us.
  9. padresfan311

Oct 8, 2004
    Mobile, AL
    yea go for the olp....i had and am still using a squire as my first bass and i am now looking into an olp mm3 5 string. i have heard all great reviews about these olp basses, so go buy one, its a steal! welcome to the forums :)
  10. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002