Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good Bass $350-$450 range?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jaymeister99, Sep 19, 2005.

1. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Any suggestions for a good Bass in this range? 4 string with a thin neck, must be available in left hand. Leaning toward a MIM Jazz bass or Schecter Omen so far.

I cant find any decent lefty basses at the music stores around here. All used or crappy beginner basses. Damm all you righties!

2. Frugle

Frugle

Sep 4, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    Well I love my MIM jazz I just got.. that would be my suggestion.. but I don't qualify to give you an answer like the other people on these forums.

3. How about a used MTD Kingston?

4. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Nope, has to be new. Maybe an absolutely mint and only if I can see it in person before I buy it. Remember I need lefty, its hard enough to find any bass in left hand at the stores. Got to get it online.

5. Check out the Spector basses. The Performer or Professional series are just about in that range. I was in the market for a Fender Jazz for several months and the quest ended with buying a Spector.

Paul

6. shnapper

shnapper

May 1, 2005
    Az
    I vote for MIM jazz, with a pickup upgrade. Great bass, just invest a little more and put some higher quality pups in after you get her home and she will be better than most anything in that price range.

-Or better yet find a used MIM jazz in like new condish for even less and then do the upgrade and you'll be set up for under $400.00

Shop down the street from me has a used MIM jazz in sunburst for $279.00.....

My 2 schillings worth...... :D

7. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    How about a Carvin kit bass? You can have the enjoyment of building it yourself.

8. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    Id hate to be the nay sayer here, but shy away from Ibanez EDB's. I know to a lot of people they look kool, and the necks feel great, but once you get used to it, and compare it to other basses, the sound is just not there.
    I say go with a MIM jazz. I sort of wish I had one...

9. Probably still your best bet. Its what i would recomend. However if used is an issue then thats no good, but the best value can normaly be found in used instruments. As long as that instrument is up to your standards or course. Condition, wear, etc...

just my $0.02

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You might try out a Cort Curbow four. I'm getting a Curbow 5 myself. I just became familiar with these basses and they really have blown me away. I think not only are they good for $350-550 basses, they have sound that competes really well with $1,000-1,500 basses. They also seem to be very well made Korean instruments. Guitar Center is a carrying them now, you might just try them out.

11. MIM Jazz...played one on Saturday...I thought it was great...

Yamaha BB414...played a BB415 (5 string) on Saturday, too...I thought it was a great bass, as well...

I don't think you would go wrong with either of these.

12. SeanE

SeanE

Sep 20, 2005
    I bought a Japanese Fernandez J-bass Vintage Series a few months ago. I love it. The store replaced the bridge with a badass-2 on purchase. I paid $475 including the upgrade installed.

I played a bunch of ibanez, schecter, and MIM j's, and I liked the fernandez best, even without the badass. With the badass, I think it is superior to them all. A MIM j-bass with a new bridge would serve you very well, too. I probably would have bought one of the those if I hadn't discovered the fernandez.

13. jaymeister99

jaymeister99

Aug 2, 2005
    Thanks, I think I'll wind up with a MIM Jazz Bass. Not too expensive and I can modify it with pickups and a bridge later.

Fender makes an updated model of the Jazz bass now, I forget the model name but it looks cool, active electronics, no pickguard, laminate body, really nice looking bass. But they dont make it in lefty.

But I do like the look of the Schecter Omen. Unfortunately I dont know of any shops with them in left hand. I would have to bite the bullet and hope I like it.