1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Good Bass Amp under $700

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cmylo67, Sep 6, 2008.

1. cmylo67

cmylo67

Mar 19, 2008
    Hey,

I just recently purchased a Fender Jaco Pastorius Fretless Jazz Bass Guitar for an arm and a leg, but the sound I am getting is worth it compared to my other basses. Now I need to expose its great sound with a better amp. I play funk and jazz music.

So what would you recommend as a good amp for my bass under $700?

Note: I am willing to spend up to $900 but I only have $700 as yet!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Common question, but the short answer is either buy used gear from your local Craigslist, or at least go try some amps out so you'll have an idea of what exactly you're wanting.

3. albass111

albass111

Feb 13, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dude, for $700 your options are so vast. To get bang for your buck, I'd recommend buying from the classifieds here FROM SOMEONE WITH GOOD FEEDBACK. However, there is no substitute for going out and trying everything you can before buying.

My favorites under $700 (in order)
    Aguilar AG500 SC
    Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0
    Eden 550 (used)
    Markbass LMII

For Funk there may not be a better deal out there then this.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=462866

It's not my cup of tea, but it is a good amp at a good price. (if it sells do I get a commission?)

peace.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Just to clarify, do you mean amp only, as in just a head? Or do you mean a combo (or maybe head and cabinet(s))? The answer would greatly affect the suggestions you'd get.

5. cmylo67

cmylo67

Mar 19, 2008
    Just a head.

6. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Carvin B1500 will give you the most wattage for your $$.

7. He needs money for a cab as well

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Go large.... Used Ampeg SVT-CL or VT. I bought a CL for just over $700 used. The USA models can still be found for $700-800 used.

Smaller scale.... Markbass LMII is a great little head.

Both of these are completely different. Try a few out and buy what you like...

9. levis76

levis76 Seconds from getting ba...

Apr 14, 2007
    Metro Detroit
    Is wattage a factor? If you are looking for watt per dollar ratio, then you can't go wrong with shopping around for a pre/power setup. Its what I did. I scored my Ampeg SVP Pro for just under $200 and found the QSC RMX 1450 for another $250. I spent another $50 for good quality tubes to quiet the SVP. Thats 1400W bridged for $500!!! And the sound quality is outstanding, very versatile preamp. I like it a lot and the price was right.

10. asad137

asad137

Jan 18, 2007
    Minneapolis
    Physicist
    Asad

11. Bassmore

Bassmore Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Virginia
    The OP really has my interest because of the particular bass that he bought. I only tried that bass (Fender Jaco Fretless)out on the new Acoustic B200H with the B410 and B115 cabs for about 5 minutes and it was enough to give me chills. :eek: IMO, it's almost as if they were made for each other. Cmylo67, you have got to check it out for yourself! Go to your nearest GC, with your new bass, make sure they've got the right (and known good) speaker cords hooked up and give it a run. Yeah, the head is only rated at 200W, but they are for real, Old School (RMS) watts. They sold me, I bought two! Play a bit with the EQ and I'm betting you are in for an experience. I would like to hear what you think cause it was freakishly good for me. If I could swing the bucks for the Jaco Fretless or the Tony Franklin I definitely would be all over it. Yes, the New Acoustics are designed in the US, made in China, owned by GC, etc. and there's a few out there who don't seem to dig that equation but if you toss out the skepticism and give the B200H (with the B410 and B115 cabs) a try with your own ears, I think you will be most surprised and maybe even freaked out a little like I was.

Best of Luck,

Excellent choice on the Bass,

Play On!:bassist:

Bassmore

12. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    Can't go wrong with a GK 700-RBII, or for an extra $50, the 1001-RBII.