Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass books...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by aerc10t3, Mar 8, 2002.

1. aerc10t3

aerc10t3

Mar 5, 2002
    Kingsland, GA
    I want a couple good bass books to improve my playing. I'm a total beginner, so I need something that starts from the basics, and I would like it to get more advanced toward the end. Thanks for any suggestions, aerc10t3 :)

2. I got all the FastTrack bass books and songbooks. They all come with Cd's so you can play along with them. If you want to learn notation, it's decent (I already knew it) but tab is right underneath so it's hard not to cheat yourself by using tab. Other than that, they're OK books and that's what I used. On the second book it starts into slap bass, so I think they go from noob to pretty good.

3. K-Frog

K-Frog

Feb 6, 2002
    Camden, AR, USA
    A book by the name of Bass Fretboard Basics put out by Hal Leonard is a good one. There's nothing like knowing your fretboard and learning lots of good theory too. Have a look at it.
    K

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    The Improvisers Bass Method,by Chuck Sher.A very good book for any Serious bassist.one that I, even to this day refer back to, from time to time.
    JAUQO III-X
    jauqoiii-xreality.com

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Standing in the Shadows of Motown, the James Jamerson bio, is mandatory reading for any bass player.

Moved to General Instruction.

6. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

A bare bones basic book for absolute beginners that comes with a CD, is "You Can Teach Yourself Bass Guitar."

7. boomerang

boomerang Guest

Dec 9, 2001
    Canada
    I would reccommend "bass for beginners" by glenn letsch, simple layout with notation and tab, written in a relaxed easy to read style. It'll teach ya reading, the fingerboard, scales, cycle of fifths, ear training (intervals), and towards the end gets to some more complicated stuff with the modes. All quite simple to understand IMO. I found it really usefull when first starting out

8. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Building Walking Basslines by Ed Friedland and Funk Fusion Bass by Joe Liebman are two good books. These books are chock full of theory and good for a beginner or advanced player.

9. The Progressive series has a slap method. It starts with simple exercises and builds up. Unlike many other books that have really cheesy examples, there are actually some pretty cool grooves, which helped motivate me to practice.

These books got me started many years ago. (Volumes 1-3 http://www.musicroom.com/se/ArtistID/0000361/artist2.ihtml

It's not going to give you any in-depth theory, but it'll definitely get you started. It won't scare you away like some other books might. (Not that you don't want to check those out too, but as a beginner, you want something presented in a simple manner so that you can start playing.) The exercises gradually build up in difficulty and again, the exercises are interesting enough for an exercise book.