1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good Bass brand for my style/bass feel?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Demon, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Can anyone recomend what bass brands are good for my style? Ive got a Squier P bass. And thought i was going fender for my first decent bass but, fender seems so boring:/ to standard.. so what other brands are nice for this? Not to fat neck, cos my hands arent that big and i wanna get around easier;) They should be easy to play fast, I want them to sound good for heavier music, preferably a powerful tone that can be heard over the guitar, my music style: / metal /hardrock etc, like, Especially >IRON MAIDEN<, Judas Priest, Slipknot, maybe even Slayer etc, they have to be good for finger playing=) So what brands are best for this? Dont need any SPECIFIC model, but atleast the brand and maybe a nice serie? Thanks in adv;D

2. Having a price range would be helpful in recommendations. I'd take a look at Fenders again if your only reason is because you think they're too ordinary. They are industry standards for a reason.:cool:

Steve Harris from Iron Maiden used p basses if I recall correctly. I'd also consider looking into a Musicman Stingray, I think you'd be able to get a good sound out of that for what you are doing.

3. ESP?

I've heard those are "harder" bass tones.

[​IMG]

4. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I dunno, fender just doesnt feel right:/ THat esp looks cool!, bit lie and axe almost^^ What more brands are available?And fender does nt have thin neck right? Also, a m8 recomended Ibanez, and i havent checked into it to much (like name tho;)) but are they cool? I cathced up that they have pretty slim necks too.

5. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Ok I dont know what your price range is but If you want a nice slim neck and good rock tone I'd look into Ibanez, a Fender Jazz Bass, or Musicman Sterling

6. 311fan

311fan Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2004
    Salt Lake City
    It sounds like you are describing my Schecter Stiletto Deluxe 4. It gets an awesome rock tone and sounds oh so good finger style. Plus the neck is thin and super fast. I would look into schecter if i were you.

7. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Rock tone? how does that sound? Is it a bit punchy? Clear enough to hear through the guitar? Or do i need a fender to get anything like steve harris tone?

8. The "rock" tone is a mid-oriented sound. Punchy is a good way to describe it. Mids are the best way to cut through a guitar and drums.

The Ibanez has the SR and SRX series basses at different price ranges. I almost bought one. I'm sure they would suit you well.

Ibanez.com

[​IMG]

Here's the ESP site that I talking about earlier.

Here's Shecter's website.

[​IMG]

These should all suit you fine.

I through some random pictures in there for eye candy.

9. amistybleu

amistybleu

Jan 15, 2006
    Thornton, CO
    +1 an the Schecters, good basses at great prices, I play heavy rock and I have no problem at all cutting through the mix, nice deep low with mids that cut like a knife. Oh and the rest of my gear helps too.

10. Ha! Ampeg SVT-3 Pro/SVT-410HLF users UNITE!

11. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    whats your price range???
    for a slimmer neck i'd say (for a low-mid budget)
    ibanez sr 400 or 500
    any Schecter, but the stiletto's sook the coolist
    yamaha RXB
    Rockbass corvette

i like the feel and tone of all these basses and definatly would say all are great for ppl that want to stray from the "norm" ... aka rock on a fender, not thats its bad but its not for everyone:smug:

12. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok but, do they sound fairly clear/punchy? And are they good for playing fast, cos i really want something thats easy played fast, not to fat neck and its a + if it looks cool;) About the price range im not sure yet, depends how long i save cash;) BUt again, something that sounds like Steve Harris.

13. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    It really depends on the price range... I will throw in a Traben recommendation, especially if you are planning on getting a 5 string. I use my Traben Phoenix 5 for those styles, and it fits well.
    http://trabenbass.com/

14. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok, thanks guys, also does ibanez have custom basses? I dont wanna grow used to Ibanez basses and when i want a real high end one later thre arent? Edit, they can absolutely not be over standard scale, im not long, im 14 and 164 cm, my hands arent " small" but theyr not big either, so. thats important;) Also, im talking 4 stringers;)I

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    So to sum it up easy, i want a tone that sounds atleast close to steve harris bass (Iron Maiden) and suits well for that music style, can cut through guitar and drums, 4 string, good for fingerstyle, easy to play fast fingerstyle with, doesnt have a fat neck and is standard scale preferably (not that important tho;)) and it should atleast look decent;)

16. punkmetal

punkmetal Guest

Jul 19, 2005
    WI (milwaukee area)
    ibanez does have a higher end line
    go to the web site
    www.ibanez.com
    lots of nice stuff

17. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok, of all my descriptions, what would suit me best you think out of Schecter and Ibanez for the music i like ? (Iron Maiden, Slipknot, Slayer, Judas Priest)

18. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Ok just forget everything so far:/ Now ill make it easy for both you and me;) What Fender Precisions around 500-1000 bucks are best to get a tone as Steve Harris;P?

19. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I'd make sure you know exactly what you want before you shell out the $$$, otherwise you're just stuck with something you don't like. And you'll lose money if you try to get something back out of it.

20. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    Okay, but a Fender Precision cant be to bad,since thats pretty much what Steve Harris is using and thts the tone i want;) But anyone know a link to all colours of fender p bass? I dont like the wooden look:/ Unless its exotic, but i hate burst.