1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Good bass comps that run on battery?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mikkejohansson, Jan 17, 2012.

1. I've been looking through Bongomanias (all hail!) great reviews for a compressor addition to my rig. Still a bit confused, so maybe some of you can chip with your experiences?

I have an EBS Multicomp on my "gigging board" but I would like to find something that I can just keep in my gigbag for those gigs where the big board seem a bit overkill. Therefor, I'm looking for a pedal that can run on battery as well, I can just bring a tuner, comp and perhaps a DOD fx10 preamp to a gig.

So, why not just a 2nd Multicomp you ask? Yes, that's an option - but I'd just as well like to try something "new" and/or different. Also someting I can use with my "rock board" (EA SuperCollider, IE Cygnet, Rusty Box) to give a different flavour.

So, my "criteria":

* Not huge footprint.

* Clean, but fat, tone.

* Must be able to run on battery (9v or 18v).

* Pricing is tricky since prices are so different here in Sweden anyway. But 100-250usd perhaps?

Some of the contenders I've found are Diamond, FEA Opti-FET, Carl Martin Classic Opto and Mad Professor Forest Green. Not sure if the Diamond runs on battery though? Another that maybe doesn't fit the size req. is the Empress, but that one looks very intriguing....but battery?

Anyone care to pitch in?

2. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    You haven't mentioned my own pedal compressor, the MXR M87. I'm very happy with it. It seems to fit all your criteria except I don't know what "clean, fat tone" means exactly. I find the MXR to be pretty transparent tone-wise.

3. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    Try the stock Boss CS-3. If you're looking to keep cost to a minimum, it's a winner on that criterion...I picked one up this week with the intention of modding it if it needed...apparently it doesn't :) I'm really happy with it as is. It's at least worth a look, as it genuinely might be the sound you're looking for.

4. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Demeter Opto Compulator is another

5. klabur

klabur

Aug 28, 2007
    BBE optostomp, best under 100 Euros I've ever tried.

6. Keeley

7. For what you're looking for, the demeter compulator would indeed be a great choice. The Diamond doesn't have a battery connection though..

8. N.F.A.

N.F.A.

Jun 25, 2009
    In a blue funk
    Demeter Compulator would be my choice. Very transparent, but adds a bit of sheen or something to the mix. Runs on batteries.

9. JehuJava

JehuJava Bass Frequency Technician

Oct 15, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Because the best compressors shouldn't give you flavor...

I always liked the keeley 4 knob jobbie...and the (hiding) tech21 bass compactor.

10. Old Trace Elliot SMX dual compressor might fail footprint test (double wide) but very hifi and the EQ swing knob gets it as fat or thin as you like. Transparent or squished. 18V battery operation.

There is a modern clone by FEA amongst many other comps you might like. Pricey but.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    FTR the FEA one is "inspired by" the Trace pedal in terms of features, but uses a completely different circuit design to get there. :)

12. Thanks for all the great tips. Need to check for the Compulator on eBay, much better prices than locally...

"Clean, fat tone" = might be, what do you call it...an oxymoron? I meant clean as in not necessarily "tube" style with the possibility of overdrive, but fat as in not necessarily 100% transparent. Make any sense? A little bit of both perhaps.

Need to look into the MXR more maybe, Bongos review made me feel it might be a bit "too sterile" for my taste.

Never said, but will be playing passive Fenders (mostly P's) through the comp.

Keep the tips coming!

13. EskimoBassist

EskimoBassist

Nov 2, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    EBS MultiComp can be as clean or as fat n tubey as you like with its three separate modes. Good pedal compressor, with battery of course.

14. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    My way of thinking is that I want a compressor pedal to provide automated volume adjustment. The end. If I want something that sounds 'tubey' or 'filtery' or whatever, I'll use another pedal for that.

15. Low_blow

Low_blow

May 14, 2005
    My choice is FEA Opti-Fet. After I bought it I immediately sold my MultiComp. Never regreted: in my opinion, it's a way better sounding and a more universal compressor pedal.