Good Bass for $600?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassman1185, Jan 2, 2001.

1. I'll be wanting a new bass soon, and since I'm 15 and only make $30 a week washing dishes I was wondering what kind of good basses you can get for about $600 U.S. I've also kind of got my heart set on a five-string. I've been looking at the Carvin B5 kits and found that one with the options I want will run me about $580, plus shipping. I was also looking at Deans' stuff, as well as Ibanez. I also heard of a place not too far away where I might be able to get a Hamer Cruise 5 new for maybe $300-400.
  2. I have two very strong recommendations for you: G&L and Godin. I've owned a large number of instruments over the years (guitars and basses) and the more I see of these two makers, the more and more impressed I am - especially the Godins.

I now own 5 instruments from the Godin stable - 2 Seagull acoustic guitars, a La Patrie classical guitar, a Godin A4 fretless bass and a Snow elctric guitar (Snow was one of their brand names in the '80's). A friend of mine also has two other Godin guitars and every last one of these instruments is incredible. The workmanship is really clean, the materials are excellent and the sound is superb on all of them. Robert Godin is such an innovator as a guitar maker and has developed so many great new concepts rather than just repackaging the same old ideas.

In the bass department, Godin offers the SD bass which comes in 4 or 5 string versions. I haven't played the 5, but the 4 is a really solid bass and should actually come in at less than $400. Remember these are made in Canada and the US (their shops just happen to stradle the Quebec/New Hampshire border) so they aren't slapped together in sweat shops in the Orient. The more expensive solid body bass is the BG, also in 4 and 5 string versions. They are also very nice basses although I think they may be a little more expensive than what you had in mind (although you might find one for around $600 or $700).

The other fine option in that price range would be G&L. You might need to go with a used one, but there are lots around. The more I play my SB-2, the more I'm convinced that I will probably be playing that bass for decades to come.

Anyway, check out their websites:

3. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    G&L is a good choice. So is Hamer.

Other basses you might find in your price range:

Carvin (already assembled :) )
    Yamaha TRB-5 (I have one :) )
    Am. Std. Fender (be warned of the sloppy B's)
    Lower-end Warwicks (not impossible, at least)

Yamaha RBX765 (a solid bass with good, all-round tone)
    Spector NS2000Q5

There are many other brands and models to be found as well, however, I can't recall more than the above mentioned. Shop around but YOU SHOULD'T BUY A BASS UNSEEN (unplayed). Chances are you might hate it when you get to know it and sell it the next week at a loss... we don't want that, do we? :)
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I forgot to mention the Cort Curbow (around $350) and the Tobias Toby Pro (around $600) basses. They sould also be considered. Search the forums for words on these instruments.
  5. The1ManMoshPit

Jan 2, 2001
    I agree with oysterman. I'm playing a Cort Curbow Fretless 5 right now, and damn...I can't believe how cheap I got it for ($699. . .and I'm in Canada!)They really are a solid bass. The material, however odd and stinky, actually has really smooth, creamy mids, and a good solid bass tone. And for how cheap they sell them, get two...heh.

But for $600, why now go for a Mexican Fender Jazz? Unless you're really looking for something that's gonna last a lifetime, something like that would be perfect. I've extensively played various models of both Mexican and American Jazz basses, and even though they seem to be kind of disregarded in these forums as far as I've seen (hey, I am a 'new member' and all, and I admittedly haven't looked far), the Jazz really is a damn fine bass. And last I checked they were only about $400 Canadian, so they'll prolly be good and cheap in the US.

If neither of these whet your whistle, just look at the obvious choices. Buy an Ibanez Soundgear (which are actually fairly nice, BTW), or a Yamaha of some sort. There are plenty of 'good enough' basses you can get for less than $500 bucks that'll keep you going for long enough, at least until you want to buy a 'real' bass (AKA throw away your life's savings on 25 pounds of wood and wires), so don't always be thinking that you have to buy something really top of the line with your 600 bones. Just buy something Good Enough.
  6. Bassmonster

Mar 24, 2000
    $600 gives you a good selection of basses to choose from. I'll throw the Dean Edge Q basses for my 2 cents worth.
  7. VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    for another 150-200 bucks you can get a used musicman. I'm trying to save up 800 bucks for one. American Fenders are also pretty cool. G&Ls are good. You may want to look into rickenbackers.
  8. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i looked at the godin site and the B5 looks really nice ill have to look in to that. have you heard it? how does it sound?
  9. for 525 u can get a mim jazz deluxe 5 string, the b string isnt that bad, and the active electronics are really nice, especially for the price. good bass, i'm very happy w/ it.
  10. freddylang

Dec 24, 2000
    Columbus, OH.
    I have a Peavey G-Bass I payed just under $700 for. Great tone and playability. I don't know about other Peavey basses but this one is a good one.

11. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    I agree, an MIM 5 Fender Dlx is the way to go. Very good electronics, nice wide string spacing, and suprisingly good construction. The best 5 I could find under a grand. The B is tight and loud. I really don't play 5 anymore though. If you're interested, I'd be willing to sell you mine.

12. How much would you be asking for that Jazz Bass? I can't e-mail you, since you had that disabled, but if you get on my profile you can contact me. Thanks.
  13. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Good bass for $600? That would be my Washburn USA Custom XB900, which incidentally is up for sale.

Near mint condition, beautiful stonewash blue finish over swamp ash, two piece maple neck and pau ferro fretboard, Basslines MM humbucking pickup and Basslines 9V 3-band EQ. Pics of this instrument are available at the Washburn site.

Not a five string, though. Sorry.