Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Good bass for Blink182/GreenDay (pick), Sublime/Marley (fingerstyle)& 311/RHCP (slap)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dmaki, Nov 11, 2000.

1. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I currently have a POS Ibanez GSR 200 with EMG pickups. I've had it for a year now and I need something new. The string spacing is too small for using a pick and I can't really get a wide range of tones from it. I'm wondering what you think a good bass would be to get the Blink 182/Green Day pick sound, Sublime/Bob Marley fingerstyle sound, and 311/Red Hot Chili Peppers slap sound.

Thanks,
    David

2. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Your Ibanez isnt that bad. I have thesame one. Id go with the Earnie Ball Musicman.

3. you also might want to look into the Fender P-Deluxe (MIA).

4. A Musicman would probably cover all of those styles pretty well.

5. Reid

Reid

Aug 25, 2000
    Oakville, Ontario
    my mim fender p handles that just fine..

6. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Musicman...no question

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Another vote for Music Man.

Will C.:cool:

8. Rumblin' Man

Rumblin' Man Banned

Apr 27, 2000
    Route 66
    Yet another vote for a Stingray.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Stingray!

Slapping on a p-bass is a crime against nature.

10. Personally, I think slapping on a P sounds fine, I like the sound of P's better than J's anyway. I would probably say P-bass, but a Stingray also covers that ground, a P-Bass costs quite a bit less though. You could get the Fender Mexican P-Special, which has both a P and a J pickup.

11. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    It seems like the Musicman is a very popular choice... What are the advantages/disadvantages of the 2-band eq, 3-band eq, and 3-band eq with piezo Stingrays? And besides a smaller body and neck, is the Sterling any different from the Stringray, like tone-wise?

Thanks,
    David

12. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Slap on a P-bass? Man, you're gross! :eek: ;)

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Yeah, really! If my better judgement didnt say otherwise, id hand him the Modulus to show him what slapping should sound like! :D

14. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    Ain't that the truth angus. In my opinion no other bass has a more grotesque slap tone. As far as the stingray eq and piezo go, i'd definitely opt for the 3 band eq but you don't need piezos for your work.

15. I'm sorry that I'm not rich enough to buy a Modulus Quantum and a custom Tune 6 string, but I'll take my grotesque slap tone, thank you very much.

16. mark

mark

Apr 7, 2000
    Canada
    I think you're missing our point. Not once did angus or I or anyone else for that matter say that you had to have an outlandishly priced instrument to get a good slap tone. The fact of the matter is that P basses were never intended to be slappers. They were conceived long before slap technique was even invented and therefore were not intended to be used in such a way. The P bass is possibly the most primitive bass on the market and i'm not saying this is a bad thing. It's main purpose was to let bassists play with more precision than they could without frets and it's basic design has not changed since it's introduction. With this in mind can you see how the P bass would be a bad choice for contemporary techniques. However i do feel that the P remains to be the quintessential rock bass. I never intended to offend you in any way and I'd say angus feels the same way.

17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Right on Mark. Dude, i own a p-bass, so its not like i dont know what it sounds like. Sure, the slap sounds are kinda usable, but they dont compare to an instrument with non-split coils. I used to Modulus as an example because i love its slap sound. It was in NO way a "ha, look what I have that you dont" type of thing. Im sorry if it sounded that way, as it was not my intentions. Just wanted to make a point that you can slap on anything, but its sounds REALLY good on non-split coil pickups.

18. G&L L-2000 is kinda like a stingray on steroids.....

Almost the same tone but much brighter.....

.........if you groove it, they will come...........

19. I'm just saying that's what I have to use, because I don't have $1,000+ bucks to blow on basses. If you think that my bass sounds grotesque when slapped that's fine, you have every right to think like that. I'm just saying that it sounds fine to me, and if you think that slapping on something that costs 3 times as much as a P-bass, that's fine by me also.

One thing though, how does it go from "slapping on a P-bass is a crime against nature" to "Sure, the slap sounds are kinda usable"? ;)

20. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Well, i can wear my fathers scalped head as a hat, but does that make it good? :eek: :D